14. Spy

Maeve's POV
End of the Christmas break.

I pushed past entire families trying to reach the hidden platform.

It was the worst Christmas break I could have imagined, the constant torment from the girls, the teasing from the boys, and not to mention- Remus fucking hates me.

Rightfully so, but it still hurt.

What made worse was that I could always hear him, smell him, practically feel his presence not matter how far apart we were.

I guess it must have been the same for him,
Perks of being a monster I guess.

"Maeve!" Peter called out as he ran up to me. He was wearing What looked like 10 layers of clothes, probably because he couldn't fit it all in his bags, but whatever the reason was it made him looks like a hybrid between a marshmallow and a turtle.

"Peter!" I laughed and pulled him for a side hug. " you look.."

"Like a genius?" He joked.

"Umm I was going to go with potato, but sure."

"I've got news." Peter burst with excitement.

"Whatever it is it can wait wormtail. I've got news too, news that has to go to Dumbledore the second we get to Hogwarts." Remus cut off Peter in a cold tone.

"What?" James said, borderline between sarcasm and seriousness, shockingly James makes that possible.

"Maeve isn't just snogging the enemy, she is the enemy." Remus spat in disgust.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Peter asked slumping into his seat.

"What do you mean? I thought you all got on well with Peter." I asked, looking around at the Slytherins I was sharing a carriage with.

"That's not the issue Mae, he's a spy." Amara said extremely close to my ear as she lacks the idea of personal space.

"I don't know about you but I don't think what we eat for lunch is valuable information." I laughed but it came to a stop when their expressions stayed solemn.

"He's not a spy for them. He's our inside man.
Peters on our side of the war." I watched Evan's eyes roll so far back in his head that they might as well fall into his brain.
I would normally laugh at him for that but all that I could feel was an unfamiliar sensation.

A cold- almost numbness but I could still feel the heartbreak seep through the thick coat of emptiness that drenched me.

It was like someone had ripped out a piece of my soul. I didn't want to believe it, I couldn't believe it.
A darkness gathered in my eyes, an unrecognisable one.
If Peter joined the death eaters, then I can't tell Dumbledore just yet, what if I can push into the light a again.

"Oh." I shrugged "never mind then."

"Maeve's a death eater now, we've got to tell Dumbledore yesterday so why are we just sitting around." The determined Werewolf's voice said from the other side of the library wing.

Maeve was grabbing her library books for the new term when she heard Remus and the marauders plotting whatever they plot nowadays, and after her messed up interaction with Remus not even a month ago, she how could she not eavesdrop.

"But she hasn't done anything wrong yet, right?" Peter reminded his friend, trying to stop his rant.

"Yet." Sirius restated his lovers words as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.
"Besides, becoming a death eater isn't exactly a good thing if you ask me."

"Look, we all know that Maeve isn't exactly my favourite person in the world right now, but I know Maeve.
She made a mistake with Lily, and I still resent her for it, but at the end of the day it was just a mistake." James began to admit.

"What are you saying? That Remus is lying?" Sirius wasn't angry, but intrigued by what he thought was an idiotic point of view.

"No, but I don't think she just 'joined the death eaters' I mean, think about the way she grew up, don't you think she'd want to be as far away from all ther as possible."

An awkward silence fell on the group.

"Okay..." remus said, dragging his hand over his face in frustration.
"It's fine. You know what? I'll figure this out myself, right?" He started shoving his belongings his bag with haste. "I don't need you or you." Now walking off he shouted back at the group annoyed but not angry he just wanted to protect them on his own way. "You'll see!"

I lent back onto the book shelf for support as I took in the new information.
Was James on my side?
Is Peter really a traitor or a spy like me?

"Why do I get the feeling that you still don't like my friends very much?" Regulus asked, I couldn't tell if he was flirting or just trying to get under my skin.

"I guess you got good instincts cause I don't." I shrug, having a little chuckle to myself, putting my cold hands in the pockets of my hoodie.
I'm not often rude to people, it's just not who I am. So now that I'm just being bluntly rude to someone I care about felt so unnatural, but weirdly in a good way.

"Wow, you know I don't have to walk you to my dorm right, I could just leave you to the evil creatures of the night." He huffed, holding back a laugh.

"But you won't." I shrug with a smug grin as we slip into silence.

"Anyways... what's the deal with you and you're family lately? She doesn't usually hover over our friendship as much as she did last holidays."

"I don't really know, I guess because Voldemort is watching us more closely-"

"Does it have anything to do with my family now being death eaters too? Cause that's just weird if it is." I interrupt, taunting him for more information.

"Nah, it probably because she's mad that im getting close to a girl how isn't one of my cousins, I guess she doesn't think you're marriage material." His loud laughter fills the air around us, It was full of joy that I couldn't help but smile.

But before I could ask anymore, we reached the Slytherins dormitory, the familiar figures that stood in the dark made the both of us stand dead in our tracks.

"Hello sister."

A/n
I really hate this chapter but I promise it's getting somewhere, I just haven't been motivated enough to update.
P.s
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE READS AND STARS