The Break-Up

A/N

Hey everyone, I'm having the a/n up here just to inform you guys really quickly. First off this chapter is not based on any episodes and focuses on the break up of Cal and Max stated in the last chapter. Secondly, this may be completely shit as it's like 2 in the morning right now, so if there's any mistakes or something just let me know. Finally, I noticed I rushed the hell out of the ending of Season 3, so I added in extra dialogue and stuff, so you can go read that if you want. Anyways hope you enjoy this chapter, until next time friends bye bye!

It's been two months since the incident at the mall. Everyone was filled with grief and despair, the three most affected being Joyce, El and Max.

Joyce had been going through the stages of grief that week, she was trying her best to keep strong for her children and El, but sometimes she couldn't bear it anymore and would lock herself in her room for the day and let her heart out in cries. It was painful for anyone to hear the mothers cries, she was a strong woman and had been through so much already, losing Hopper was her final breaking point.

El was also devastated. The night she found out about Hoppers after the incident, she couldn't contain her sobs. Cal was going to console her but Will beat him to it, stating he should look after Max. El had to move in with the Byers two days later, the party plus Joyce helping her with getting all her stuff from Hopper's cabin, her previous home. Before they had all left El had broken down on the porch outside. Cal, Mike and Max were quick to rush over to her and pull her into a comforting group hug, everyone else quickly joining.

Max was having a hard time, over the past two months she was slowly distancing herself from everyone. Sure she still hung out with the party, but she barely spoke, her smile was now a rare sight to see as her bubbly personality was also fading away. Cal noticed these changes and tried to be there for her when she needed, but she kept pushing herself away, leading us to now...

TWO MONTHS AFTER THE BATTLE OF STARCOURT

It was another normal morning for Cal. He was currently sitting at the table, eating breakfast, as he watched Steve comb his hair with his reflection on the TV.

"You know," Cal started, "There's always a mirror available, you should use it. Like a normal person does." Cal teased his brother. Steve turned to him, sending him a glare.

"Ha ha very funny, I don't have time. I have to pick up Robin before going to work." Steve stated as he finished combing his hair and made sure he looked his best.

"Ok, still doesn't explain why you're trying to look like you're going on a date in uniform." Cal said before a sly smirk came onto his lips, "Orrrr, are you trying to impress Robin?" Cal teased. He wondered why Steve hadn't gone for her yet. They're like, best friends, he's probably missing something important.

Steve let out a sigh, not giving Cal a response before making his way to the door, "I'll see you later." and with that Steve was gone.

Cal let out a chuckle before finishing up his breakfast. He put his plate away and then sat on the couch, turning the TV on and watching whatever came on.

It was now midday and Cal was extremely bored, he was about to go outside until the phone rang. Cal jumped off the couch and ran to the phone, picking it up and putting it to his ear.