The Piggyback

Cal made his way through the abandoned Creel house, the blue lantern lighting his path, as he went around a corner. The boy could feel his nervousness flow through his body, doing his best to not show it.

As he made his way out of the room, he ran into Erica, causing him to flinch back slightly. The boy let out a sigh of relief, still on edge a little, sending the younger Sinclair a smile, only for the girl to raise her notepad to him, showing what he hoped wouldn't happen.

"Found Vecna."

Cal tightly nodded, following Erica to the room they had originally found him the first time, the same one with the chandelier, where he saw Lucas and Max waiting in the doorway.

As he peered in, he saw the pulsing blue light from the lantern that sat on the table in the middle of the room. Max slowly walked toward it as her lantern began to pulse in sync with the other.

Max turned to look at Cal with wide eyes, the two sharing a look of fear, as the realisation that the time for the plan to begin was nearing faster than they anticipated.

The sudden pop of Erica's marker lid caught Cal's attention, looking back over to see the girl writing something on her pad. Then with a look of maturity that an eleven year should not have, she showed the message to Cal and Lucas.

"Phase one?"

The two boys shared a look, both internally debating whether they should continue or just stop while they can. After a moment of hesitation , they turned back to Erica, giving her a nod. Erica then left to run to the playground and inform the Upside Down team.

Cal let out a quiet sigh, this was it. No turning back now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the three waited for Erica's signal, they had decided to get comfortable as they now settled in the living room, with Lucas watching out the window for the signal, as Cal and Max each sat on the old couches.

Cal bounced his right leg up and down, biting his lip while looking over at the window by Lucas, his mind thinking of every possible outcome of tonight's events. The boy was scared of the majority of outcomes, those all leading to death and failure.

He was snapped back into reality when he felt a tap of a marker on his knee, his head snapping towards the cause of the contant. As he looked up, he saw Max sitting in front of him, her notepad facing her, a hint of a smile gracing her face.

"Hi."

Cal let a small grin come across his face before he looked down to his own notepad and began writing with his marker before lifting it up to face the redhead once done.

"Hey :)"

Max wrote on her notepad, her eyes locking on to Cal's face, as she displayed her message to him.

"I'm glad you're here"

Cal let a smirk cross his face as he wrote down his message 

"Who wouldn't be ;)"

Max let out a whisper of a scoff, a smirk on her face. Cal looked back down to his notepad, flipping the page, as he wrote a new message. Once done, he lifted the pad.

"Movie Friday? That could be our date."

Max smirked as she looked down to her own page, beginning to write something. Cal leaned over to see what the redhead was writing, but she brought the notepad closer to her chest. The former held his hands out, feigning innocence, as he sat back down.