Zero

October 17th - 1978

Dr Brenner walked down the hall of the lab, his mood seemingly pleasant, I mean, why wouldn't it be? Today is the day a candidate will be chosen.

For the past year, Brenner has become more weary with the blonde orderly known as Peter. He feels a sense of dread when around him, as if the blonde is planning something.

Brenner didn't like this feeling, he hated the feeling of not being in control. As of this, he decided to create a new batch of tests under the name PROJECT FAILSAFE

This project will be a contingency if the orderly ever manages to obtain his powers once more, though that should never happen. It will involve one subject undergoing new tests to create a resistance to mental powers, essentially blocking people from entering the subject's mind.

However, to decide which subject is the perfect choice, a 'fight' must take place.

Brenner opens the door to the rainbow room, looking around to see the children playing different things. However, his eyebrows furrowed as he noticed two were isolated from the group.

He looked to his left to see the two missing experiments,

011 and 013

The two children were currently in the middle of what looked like a game of rock paper scissors, but 013 was lifting actual items while 011 was using her hand, while the blonde orderly watched the two with a slight smile.

"Hello everyone." Brenner greets the children.

"Hello Papa." The children greeted back, standing up and stepping into line, 011 and 013 next to each other.

"Seventeen will you hold open the door?" Brenner asks.

"Yes Papa" The child said, walking to the door and holding it open.

"Today I have something very special planned for you all." Brenner states, "Now, let's hurry up." Brenner orders

The crowd of kids begin to merge into one full line before walking outside of the room,

"After you." The older man said, holding the door for the child.

He closes it behind himself, leaving the orderly alone in the room, arms behind his back as he stares with interest at not only the kids, but Dr Brenner.

Everyone lined up against the wall in the experimentation room, as Dr. Brenner stood in the middle. He grabbed a piece of chalk and drew a large circle around his feet.

"Today, we are going to play a game." He said, finishing the circle before drawing another one

Once finished, he steps forward, standing directly in front of the line, "The rules are simple, you stay in the circle. If you step out you lose." He explains to the experiments, "The person who is in the circle last wins and gets the prize."

"Two, Nine, if you'll be the firsts please." Brenner said.

The two boys took their places in the circles, as a different orderly wrapped the blindfold over Nine while another wrapped it around Two.

013 watched from the side with boredom. He knew Papa only wanted to see how strong they've become, but he was intrigued by what the prize could be. The boy snapped out of his thoughts when Nine fell out of the circle.

"Nine, please take a seat by the door." Brenner says disappointingly.

013 glanced over at 011, who seemed to be a little nervous. When 011 looked over at him, he sent a reassuring smile towards her, hoping to ease her nerves a bit.