Chapter 16 - The Text Message

Leah's POV

After our amazing 'workout' we got stuck into our work after I left his office and returned to my own next door to his. In the middle of replying to an email, I received a text message from an unknown number.

'Leah, it's Ava. I need your help. I'm using someone's phone to send this text. Please don't tell Jace, it's embarrassing. Meet me at this address, I will send you my location. Hurry please'

'Location received'

I checked the address and I know I'll have to use a cab to get there, it's around 30 minutes drive. And since Jace and I arrived together in his car, I couldn't use my own car to get there. I packed my phone and wallet in my purse and turned off my laptop.

I knocked on Jace's door but there was no answer and it was locked. I remember he had a meeting this afternoon so he must have already left for it. I walked over to Anne, our new secretary and let her know that I was leaving for the rest of the afternoon and to tell Jace I felt a bit sick and went home. She nodded her head with a smile.

I left the building and caught a cab straight away, giving him the address and he joined the rest of the traffic to our destination.

I couldn't stop myself from thinking, what's so urgent that I had to leave work to meet her? And why is it too embarrassing for me to tell Jace? So many different scenarios were swimming around my head. But this is just like Ava, it's probably nothing because she loves to exaggerate over the smallest things.

I mentally chuckled to myself, thinking she probably had a one-night stand and became stranded there with no phone. That is an 'Ava thing'.

I was brought out of my thoughts when the cab driver announced we were there. I paid him the fair and got out of the car, thanking him before shutting the door. I watched as he drove away, leaving me on the curbside.

I looked around and everywhere looked empty, but it is two o'clock in the afternoon so people are most likely at work or just out and about.

I found the house that Ava had sent me but something doesn't seem right. It looks empty, there are windows boarded up, and other windows are smashed through. Graffiti on the walls. Why would she be here?

I tried calling the number she had texted me from, but it was out of service. That has worried me even more. I began looking around the house once more, making my way towards the backyard when suddenly I heard a noise behind me.

Before I could look back, a hand with a cloth was pressed against my nose and mouth, I tried wiggling out of the person's hold but their hand held me tight against their body. I tried to scream but it was muffled by the cloth.

The next thing I knew, I started to become dizzy and saw black spots enter my vision. My eyelids started to flutter shut and the darkness came.

My eyelids fluttered open slowly, and I was met with darkness. I tried to lift my hand to rub my eyes but I couldn't move them. My hands were tied around my back on a chair that I was sitting on, and my feet were tied to the chair legs. What the hell?

My head was pounding, but it didn't stop me from frantically looking around to see where I was. It was just an empty room with two doors. There was a window, but it was boarded up, stopping any light from entering and also stopping me from escaping if I managed to get these ropes off.

My heart was beating hard in my chest and my body was shaking. Why would somebody do this? I haven't done anything to anybody!

Just then, I started to hear footsteps getting louder, and the door was thrown open. "It's you" were the only words to escape my mouth, I was shocked and hurt all at the same time.

"Hi Leah, it's so good to see you"