Metal Madness

As the week had passed and the midnight sun was gone, tranquility had returned to the Hunter base. "So, now that the Midnight Sun is over, what are we gonna do next?" Ann asked Viggo, who sat behind his table looking over his Maces and Talons board. 

"First, we let Ryker and the others regain their rest. I know my brother. Right now, he will still be light-headed and easily agitated if I ask him to do certain things, so we will have to wait with that. For now, we just have to find some things to do ourselves." He folded his hands together in front of his mouth.

Ann sat down opposite of him and shoved the Maces and Talons board in between them. "What about a game?" She smiled and Viggo couldn't hold back a small laughter of joy. "Game on, I guess?" They placed their pieces and played for quite a while.

As the day went by, they played a few games in a marathon style. "Those were some of the most interesting and longest games I have played in a long time, baby. I'm proud of you." He smiled at her. "Still, I have the feeling you let me win that third round." Viggo grinned mischievous at her as a confirmation. "You did!" She growled at that, leaving Viggo to laugh about it. "Anyway, you might have let me win that round, but I have an excellent teacher in this game." Viggo was touched by her words. "Come here." He held her on his lap and kissed away with her. Holding hands on Ann's baby-belly made their afternoon complete.

After rest had been restored across the island, Ryker reported back to Viggo for further orders. "Finally, people can walk around here again without fighting with each other." He said when coming in. "Maybe that's because you started most of those fights with your short temper and aggressive moods." Ann grinned at him and he knew she was right.

"Anyway, we need to focus ourselves more on how we can defeat Hiccup and his Riders. I am getting sick of his attacks on our partners and the empire that I have built ever since I became chief." Viggo mocked as he held his hands folded in front of his mouth. "Wait, you built it all up to what the Hunter tribe is now all by yourself?" Ann was stunned to hear that.

Ryker cleared his throat in disagreement with what she said. "You know what I mean, Ryker." Ann felt his eyes burning on her. "In fact, I have. The Dragon Hunter tribe wasn't as widely known before my time as chief as it is now. It is due to my effort and my personal way of working that it has grown to what it is today." Viggo explained to her kindly.

"What do you mean with your way of working?" Ann asked her husband. "What he means with that, is that Viggo doesn't care if men die or not." Ryker filled in for her. "They are expendable." Viggo added to his brother's explanation.

Ann looked down and felt upset. What he just said reminded her of the same he said to Dagur a long time ago. Viggo noticed her change of mood straight away, as a good husband that he is does. "Is something wrong, my love?" He asked her. Ann didn't know well how to explain the problem she experienced to him.

"You know you can always tell me anything, right?" Viggo held her hands in his to show her his support and love. "It is something you said a long time ago... Never mind." She wanted to walk away, but Viggo held on to her hand and stopped her from leaving. "What did I say then, sweetie? Did I hurt you unintentionally again?" He asked her, hoping she would answer him with 'no'.

"You didn't and at the same time you did. You said something about game pieces as people being expendable and no one being irreplaceable? Am I replaceable too?" A tear welled up in her eye at the thought of it. "By the Gods, Ann! Of course, you are irreplaceable! Why would you think that? I love you. You know how much I love you, don't you? When did you hear me say that?" He held Ann firmly against him to comfort her. "At the game of real life Maces and Talons you played with Dagur..." She whispered as he rubbed her back.