Chapter One

"Gggooooddd mmmooorrrnniing!!!"

I hear his high pitched voice as he comes bounding through the door, his dark hair flopping about as he jumps onto my bed. I look up at my little bundle of joy as he jumps around excitedly on the bed. I watch as he jumps from side to side waiting for a response of reaction from me. Ever since I gave birth to Bodhi Julian Russo five years ago, our relationship blossomed as we only had each other in the world. I came to realise he was the only consistency in my life and therefore, I knew I needed to make this little boy proud of his mummy and have someone to look up to.

"Good morning my gorgeous boy."

I reach out and grab Bodhi as he giggles hysterically I give him cuddles and tickle him peppering his soft cheeks with kisses. He manages to wriggle free from my hold and bounds off of the bed towards the door before looking back at me and giving me a cheeky smile.

"Come on mummy. Today is my first day of school!"

I watch him run off all excited to begin his first day of school as a kindergarten. I flop back onto my pillow and look across at the alarm clock on the sidetable. 5:30 am. I look back at the roof and shut my eyes trying to muster the strength for the day as Bodhi and I both begin our new adventures. I grab my phone and shoot a good morning text to Sam, my fiance and then head downstairs to where a loud racket is originating.

"Bodhi baby, what are you up to this morning?"

As I walk into the large kitchen Bodhi is sitting on the marble worktop as Sam stands mixing batter in a bowel. I am in disbelief as I see her playing with Bodhi and I run towards her. Sam lifts me into her arms and spins me as Bodhi laughs hysterically. I squeeze onto her and take in her scent before looking to face her.

"When did you get back from your business trip? I literally just messaged you."

Sam smiles and kisses me on the lips hungrily before looking over at Bodhi who has his whole hand in the batter she had been mixing. She lets me down as she walks to help Bodhi wash off and finish making it.

"Well I wanted to surprise you both for you big day with some pancakes, flowers and some presents."

Sam reaches down at the side of the island where she has been standing and produces a bunch of flowers and a wrapped present which she hands Bodhi and me. I smell my flowers as Bodhi rips into his present leaving wrapping paper flying everywhere as he reveals a little cape, mask and a pair of Jordan 1s with superheroes on the side. He jumps around with excitement as Sam kneels beside him and looks him in the eye.

"Always remember buddy, no matter what happens that mummy and I will always be there for you and that you are our little superhero capable of anything."

Bodhi jumps excitedly into a superman pose before zooming around the house with his mask and cape. Sam and I watch him affectionately before she slides a long, skinny box across to me smiling slyly.

"Didn't think I had forgotten you now did you?"

I open the box and see a diamond cartier bracelet and I instantly tear up taking it out of the box and ushering Sam to put it on me. I look at it admiringly.

"It's beautiful Sam. How did I - uh - we get so lucky with you?"

I look over at Bodhi who is struggling to get his new shoes on but continuing to be persistent and not giving up. A trait that I begin to hope I have instilled in him for the rest of his life. Sam kisses me softly on the side of my head before walking over and picking Bodhi up and flying him through the air like a real superhero, he screams with excitement before she settles him on his feet and takes the mask and cape off.

"Why don't you both go get ready for your day and I will make you pancakes for when you're ready? What do you say little man?"

Bodhi launches into Sam's legs hugging onto her before making a start for upstairs to get ready. I walk over and give Sam a more passionate kiss while we have a moment alone. I run my around down Sam's shirt before warning her to use an apron to ensure her shirt stays white.

After washing up, I stand before my wardrobe trying to figure out what clothes show the real me and give a sense of personality. I finally decide on a black pencil skirt, my black loubutoins and a white blouse and blazer. I put on my glasses and check myself out once more before checking on Bodhi. I watch from the door as he struggles with the buttons on his shirt. I walk over and begin helping him with his little uniform and my eyes begin to well up as I realise how big my son has gotten and how fast time has slipped by.

"You look so handsome baby. Are you nervous?"

Bodhi smiles up at me with his huge brown eyes I can't help but believe that everyone will love his cheeky chappy ways. As we finish up, we Sam has been lingering by the door and watches us affectionately. She looks lovingly at us before announcing breakfast is ready and she races Bodhi to the kitchen. We share laughs and advice at the breakfast bar together for twenty brief minutes before leaving the hectic house in silence.

Sam and I both drive to Bodhi's new school in the next town over, a presitgious private school that Sam insisted we send him to. Sam helps Bodhi out of my car and gives him a massive cuddle and a kiss before turning to me with a slight smile.

"I am going to get going and give you two some space to cherish this moment."

She kisses me and ruffles Bodhi's hair before beginning to walk away when I grab her hand and pull her back. Sam looks at me confused and awkward as I can almost see the cogs turning in her head trying to figure out what is happening.

"You're my fiance Sam and you've been the only consistent person in his life. You deserve to share this moment with us as a family."

We walk together holding hands with Bodhi as we enter the school along with many other new parents. We see many parents queuing up for registration and class photos so we join them along with Bodhi waiting eagerly. Sam talks to Bodhi about all the different subjects and especially tries to encourage him to play football, her love and passion. I speak cordually with other parents as we wait until we get registered and get Bodhi's photos as well as a family photo done. We walk together to Bodhi's class and meet his teacher and some of his new classmates before leaving him. Sam is visibly more nervous than me as we walk back to our cars.

"Hey are you okay?"

Sam looks away embarassed you have noticed but nevertheless speaks openly and honestly.

"I'm just thankful that I have such a beautiful family but also worried about Bodhi and whether he will make friends and actually like this school especially since I promised him it was the best."

I smile and caress Sam's cheek gently before giving her a soft kiss. I can't help but smile and giggle which clearly annoys Sam as she feels silly.

"Sam you might not see it but you're an amazing mum to OUR son! And he is just like you which makes me believe our kid will be the most popular one in that classroom by 3pm."

Sam laughs and kisses me more insistently before pulling away and kissing my hands and saying goodbye as she heads out for work at the stadium. I head to my new job as a government social worker in a disadvantaged area in our town of Winston. Making a difference was all I wanted to do..