Chapter Sixteen

My phone vibrates continually on the coffee table as I roll the monopoly dice again.

'Yes!'

I laugh as Sam and Bodhi hang their heads in disbelief.

'Mommy, can you please stop winning now!'

Sam chuckles loudly and I push her shoulder slightly before I see Bodhi smile and get excited.

'Attack mommy!!!'

I feel Bodhi jump on me and pushing me down further into the couch. I wait for Sam to approach but she doesn't and I can understand why.

'Muma you have to help me please.'

Sam groans as she struggles to her feet and then lifts Bodhi off of me. She swirls Bodhi in the air as he screams loudly.

'No one touches my princess Knight Bodhi!'

Sam declares as she play fights with Bodhi. I sit up and laugh at them both as they tickle each other and I can't help but feel like I miss this feeling of being together and spending this time messing about. I watch as Sam sideyes me and gesture for me to join in. I jump up and watch as Sam puts down Bodhi and sits on the couch. I grab Bodhi and proceed to do the same with him as Sam before collapsing tiredly beside Sam. She rests a hand on my thigh and giggles at Bodhi who lies on the ground pretending to be dying.

'We have a crazy kid you know.'

Sam continues to watch Bodhi as she chuckles uncontrollably and I can't help but feel the heat from her touch on my leg. The desire travelling up my body. She must not even realise she is touching me. It all feels so normal.

'Okay Bodhi, time for a bath and bed. You must be knackered after your day!'

Bodhi shoots up from his dying position and groans before having a light bulb moment.

'Can you both please put me to bed?'

I look at Sam expectantly and she smiles widely showing her sparkling white teeth.

'Of course we will B.'

Walking upstairs, Sam goes with Bodhi to his bathroom while I go for a shower myself. When I come out in my joggers and hoody, Bodhi is already in the bath and Sam sits on the toilet talking to him about the UK. I listen quietly outside as she explains that she needs to go back to the UK and that they won't be seeing each other as much but it will be every other week.

'Hey, what's happening here?'

I interrupt before she can say anything else as I'm hurt and sad just like Bodhi. I see he looks down dejected so we finish off the bath before tucking him in.

'I love you so much baby. No matter what always know that muma and I are here for you and will always ALWAYS love you.'

I kiss Bodhi before leaving him and Sam to have some time. I make a cup of hot chocolate for Sam and I and plonk down on the couch with my feet outstretched. When she enters the living room, I see tears in her eyes and I immediately go to her. Worry overcoming me about her and Bodhi.

'What's happened? Is Bodhi okay?'

Sam nods her head slightly. But continues to hold me close as she cries. I can't help but feel the same as I know what this means. For Bodhi. For me. For our family.

'Let's talk Sam. Come on.'

I walk to the couch and we sit down together with our hot chocolate. I pull my feet up to my chest and sip my hot chocolate as I look at her expectantly.

'I am returning to the UK in two weeks time for a month and I know that Bodhi's life is here so he can't come with me. And it's not fair on you either. You need time with him and time to build a relationship with Sloane too.'

At the mention of her name, my expression must change as Sam notices it immediately. She looks at me curiously.

'What is it?'

I look at her and shrug my shoulders, continuing to drink my chocolate when she nudges me with her foot. I leave out an exasperated sigh.

'It's nothing. We are just still very new.'

Sam smiles before giving a skeptical luck and cocking her eyebrow.

'You're married Dani. That's not new that's familiar and real.'

I don't know what to say as I consider how I should feel but don't and all the potential reasons why. My mind races and I look down again avoiding eye contact.

'Come on what's up D?'

I look up at her with tears brimming and I try to form the words.

'I uh I don't. I don't know how I should feel with her. I just know that it doesn't feel like it does with you.'

I slap my hand over my mouth as soon as the words leave my mouth. Fuck you brain. I didn't even realise until I said it. Sam begins to smile and it gets wider and wider. She reaches for my cup and places both of them on the coffee table before pulling me into a cuddle with her.

'I think that's the point. You're not supposed to compare us to how you feel about someone else.'

I shift in her arms until I am kneeling beside her and I can feel her strong arm around my waist.

'Who's Elena?'

I know that I can't do what I want with Sam until I know the answer to that question. The question that's seared into my mind for the last three weeks. The same question I tried to find answers to but needed to know for sure and from Sam's mouth.

'How do y-? Bodhi.'

I nod my head gently, feeling guilty for dropping my son in it but also not wanting to own up to stalking her Instagram posts and stories. I watch Sam as she lets out a deep breath and bits her lip as she stares at the roof. I know immediately this is something I won't want to hear but need to.

'Elena is my ex from like eight years ago. She's a family friend and when I returned home, we reconnected as I told you before. And well, uh- I am dating her.'

I look at her curiously and I know she feels uncomfortable but I continue to push it as she does with Sloane.

'Dating? As in she's your girlfriend?'

Sam looks at me curiously before silently nodding her head. At the confirmation I move apart from Sam and take my seat again. Sam looks down at where I was sitting and then back to my eyes. We keep our gazes tight on each other.

I notice the soft lines of her face, her strong jawline and gentle expression. She's so incredibly beautiful and yet now, so untouchable to me. I really wish I was in the right state of mind to have this woman. I finish my cup and then clear my throat before standing up.

'You can stay in the spare room tonight if you want. But I'm going to go to bed now. Goodnight Sam.'

I touch her shoulder briefly before walking upstairs and leaving her on the couch.