Chapter Seven

"Danielle Russo? Visitor for you."

The nurses voice stops me and I look at Connie who I have just divulged my life too. Her face remains expressionless however, her eyes show her upset and hurt for what I have gone through. I give her a sad smile before heading over to the nurse who leads me to the visiting room.

Bright blue eyes immediately connect with mine and I see dark hair flopping about as Bodhi jumped up and down excitedly. My shock and surprise must be all over my face as Sam laughs as I approach her. I suddenly feel self conscious knowing I've just been crying for the past hour and I must look a state but she doesn't seem to notice.

Bodhi charges towards me excitedly and crashes into my legs. Squeezing for dear life. I bend down and pepper him with kisses and cuddles.

"Oh my sweet, sweet boy. I've missed you so much. Do you know how much I've missed you? Oh I love you more than anything."

Tears of joy escape my eyes as I continue to hold Bodhi. Happy that I get to see him after thinking I would have to wait for two weeks as I thought he was in the UK with Sam. Sam. I glance up at her and see her struggling to her feet before hobbling over to us. I immediately stand and go to her concerned as she carries crutches and her knee is all in a brace.

"Sam. Oh my god. What happened? Are you okay?"

Sam gives a sad smile as she looks across at Bodhi who is happily drawing pictures on the visitors wall.

"Aren't you supposed to be in London?" I say glancing in the same direction she is before looking back and our eyes connecting again.

"Do you mind if I sit?" Sam gestures towards the crutches and I giggle before nodding my head and helping her to the table and chairs. Taking my seat across from her she smiles sadly. Again.

"What's happened?" I repeated myself again desperately wanting to know she is okay.

"I tore my ligament in my knee during a charity marathon at the weekend right before my flight to London. So I'm out of the team for now. I mean I don't know how long. I may have ruined my career."

Sam groans as she rubs her face. Her anger and frustration is evident. I can't help but feel sympathy and heartache for her. I know all she's ever wanted to do was play football, it wasn't just a job for her. It was her entire life. It made her who she is. I reach across the table and take Sam's hand in mine and hold it firmly anticipating her pulling it away. But she doesn't. Instead she squeezes back and looks from our hands to my eyes.

My heart races under Sam's intense gaze. I can't keep my eyes off her.

"I promise you, you will get through this. No matter what. You can do this. Bodhi and I will help no matter what."

Sam gives a genuine smile, the first in weeks. Sam has also not spoken to me this much since everything happened either so I savour the moment and suddenly feel optimistic.

"Only you would get hurt while helping others." I joke with her as she glares at me before bursting out laughing.

"It seems to be a common issue doesn't it?" Sam laughs along with me and for a fleeting moment I am sure we both feel the connection. The inevitable pull towards each other.

Silence falls between us as we stare at each other smiling, reminiscing. Wanting to only remember everything before Sloane came into our lives like a wrecking ball.

Bodhi runs over to us both again with a picture in hand.

"Look what I drew for the art wall mummy. Look muma."

He waves the sheet about allowing neither of us to see the picture. Before finally leaving it on the table to go start another. Sam and I share a look before shaking our heads at the crazy, erratic five, nearly six year old.

Leaning in from either side. Sam and I study the picture. Two women and a little boy standing outside a big house with a football. Sam and I look up at each other and my heart skips a beat as she smirks before leaning back in her chair.

"Quite the artist we are raising eh?"

I look at her playful eyes and can't help but laugh and feel a weight lift off my chest knowing this woman always knew how to make me feel comfortable and safe with her.

We sat in silence watching Bodhi drawing and colouring with his tongue stuck out the side of his mouth. A little quirk he picked up from Sam when she concentrates.

"How are you getting on in this place?"

Sam's question catches me off guard and she quickly realises but stands strong. She needs an answer. She can't distract us any longer. She needs to know I am doing alright.

"I am good. I really miss Bodhi and you of course." I make eye contact with the beautiful woman sitting across from me. "I feel stronger each day but I'm not ready to leave just yet. Which I need to also figure out."

Sam gives a lopsided smile before reaching across and taking my hand in hers. Locking eyes more intently and serious now.

"There's nothing to figure out D. You come home with us." Sam and I looked at the dark haired boy now leaning against the table while twisting his legs about. "Unless you have somewhere else to go."

I flinch and instantly feel uncomfortable at the comment knowing she's referring to Sloane. We still had not talked about any of it. And from the looks of things we wouldn't be for a long time. Until Sam was ready and I was strong enough to handle it.

I nod my head before replying softly. "Thank you Sam. Are you sure we will be okay together under one roof? I would love to be around Bodhi and make up for lost time."

Sam smiles and nods her head as I retract my hand and my mind begins to race. Thoughts of Sam being Sam. Walking around in boxers. It's getting hot here. Coming home sweaty in her football kit. Gosh there's no air in this room. Getting out of the shower. I feel dizzy.

Sam grabs my hand and calls for a nurse who comes to take me back to my room. I get a brief goodbye to my two favourites before being put to bed for some rest and plenty fluids.

As my eyes flutter closed, I am instantly consumed with thoughts of Sam and Bodhi at home. Kicking a ball around. Playing hide and seek and chasing each other about the garden.