Chapter Eight

Voices. Banging. Laughing. More voices.

I groan as I open my eyes blinded by the bright lights in the room. I feel groggy and confused at the loud noises and where I am. The last I remember, Sam and Bodhi were with me.

I look across the room that I begin recognising as my own and see Bodhi and Sam sitting together watching something on the TV. I rub my face roughly trying to make sure I wasn't dreaming and the scene before me was in fact real.

Sam's head snaps across as soon as she hears the rustling bedsheets and she hobbles towards me on her crutches. Her blue eyes are fixated on me and a wide smile breaks out across her lips.

"Hey babe, you feeling okay? You passed out. Must have been too hot."

My heart skips a beat at the pet name she used but she doesn't notice as she takes my hand and places gentle kisses on my knuckles.

"You had us really worried D. Bodhi didn't even notice though as he was too absorbed in speaking to one of your nurses, Connie? I think."

I can't help but smile. Sam could always reassure me and make sure that I knew everything that was going on so I never had to stress or get worked up. She always eases my anxiety.

"Connie, yeah. She's pretty great. She's my sponsor here." I let out a sigh feeling guilt creeping up on me again. "I'm sorry to keep you and Bodhi here, you could have a left."

Sam continues to look at me with a blank expression before pulling her hand away and clearing her throat.

"Look Dani. I know that our relationship is over and there's no chance of anything ever happening again. But just know that I still love and care for you. I always will and I will try my best to keep your best interests at heart."

Sam struggled to her feet snd pressed a gentle kiss to my forehead as I closed my eyes. Relishing her touch and smell on me again. Knowing it may be the last time. She called Bodhi over and we said our goodbyes before both left me. Alone in my room.

********

My feet felt heavy as I trudged towards the visitors room. My mind was racing thinking Sam and Bodhi had come back again after two days. I began to build up my expectations to see my little boy and give him all the kisses and hugs I could before being parted again.

As I rounded the corner, piercing green eyes and short, blonde wavy hair catches my eyes. Sloane stands upon seeing me, smiling brightly. My heart begins to race watching her. Her muscles protruding from her tshirt and her tight jeans hugging her tree trunk thighs. As I walked towards her, I couldn't deny the attraction between us.

Sloane held me in a tight hug, my head rested on her chest as she placed a soft kiss on the top of my head. She smiled at me with a glint in her eye before taking a seat across from me.

"You look beautiful Dani. I'm glad you're doing well."

I smile briefly and fidget trying to form the words in my head. She always made me nervous.

"I'm doing good. Feel like I may be able to leave next week thankfully."

Sloane smiles and nods her head. Showing understanding as she has been here before with me. She knows more than anyone what it's like to be in this position.

"Why are you here Sloane? Why have you been so persistent? I'm bloody here because you came back without any warning."

I instantly see the hurt and pain in her eyes. And I regret my words immediately.

"Because I stupidly still love you Dani. I've never stopped loving you. You got me through the tumultuous years in Iraq. And I can take it. Blame me boo but I'm still here."

I close my eyes and bury my head in my hands groaning in frustration. My feelings were all over the place right now. Sam was my perfect girl and saved me and Bodhi but no longer wanted a relationship. Sloane on the other hand saved me but then left me broken but also put me on the path to Bodhi. She wanted me and Sam didn't. My head raced and all memories and regrets flashed past when I felt a rough callous hand in mine.

"You don't have to be alone."

I open my eyes to see those forest green eyes watching me. I think about her words. I don't want to be alone. I shouldn't have to be. I want.. I want..

As my mind races, I feel lips crash onto mine and I can't help but reciprocrate. I grab the back of Sloanes neck as she pulls me closer to her. Her hands wonder over my back holding me close and I can't help but feel a moan escape my lips. I feel wanted and desired right now. I want what she is offering. We are interrupted immediately by someone clearing their throat near the open door.

**********

The clearing of throat tears us a part and I look guilty towards the ajar door where Connie stood. She looked disappointedly at me and then to Sloane who kept her firm hold on my hips.

"Visit is over. You need to leave now."

I didn't take my eyes off of Connie as Sloane released my hips and mumbling a goodbye before attempting to kiss me. Only kissing the corner of my mouth. I keep staring at Connie until Sloane has left the room and she finally shakes her head.

"Danielle, sweetheart. What is going on? You have said that guilt has eaten you from being with that woman and now you're back here again."

I groaned angrily, kicking the chair closest to me. I feel like a disappointment to everyone, failure and a fuck up.

"I've nothing left to lose Connie! I've lost my fiancee, I've lost my job and I've lost my fucking dignity being back here!"

Connie flinched as I shouted at her. My anger finally boiling over. I had enough I wanted to be alone. Away from everyone.

I stormed past Connie heading towards my room when I felt a hand on my wrist pulling me back. I twist my body meeting Connie's eyes again. She looks angry and frustrated.

"Do it for your son then. Dammit Danielle! Where is your priorities right now?! Bodhi is the one you need to think about! Not these women."

I pull away from Connie's grasp and storm towards my room. Tears falling endlessly as Connie's words hit me. I've been selfish. I'm an asshole. I've left my son. I've forgotten him.