05

"y/n!!!!" hu tao called out as we reached the lunch table albedo had guided us at.

5 people were seated at the table already. 3 of which I knew, yanfei, hu tao and kaeya. the other 2 were new faces...
"hello y/n we meet again" kaeya smiled. "why hello kaeya"

"oh. My bad yall. let me introduce my lovely cousin to u all. y/n~" hu tao called out gripping my arm from the side and showing her infamous beaming, eye smile. her dimples showing up too.
"since u already know kaeya and albedo, this is beidou here" she pointed to a tanned lady with an eye patch very similar to kaeya's. she waved at me sweetly. "and this is thoma" she gestured to another boy with long blonde hair. "why hello there , welcome " he smiled sweetly, his dimples showing as well, very much similar to hu tao's.(i like to imagine thoma has dimples...)

we all were sat down, as the group started asking me questions one by one.
apparently, albedo, yanfei, and kaeya were part of the student council.
yanfei was a law student, beidou was in a marine major and kaeya was studying criminology. Hu tao considered being the odd one out, since she was studying forensic pathology.(study of the dead and how to study biopsy results, etc)
"so y/n what made u want to move here all of a sudden?" beidou asked
"oh u know, just for a change of environment "
"y/n have u ever dated anyone?" yanfei interrupted.
"I would say I did, it didn't end well however " well none of my relationships have...the last one especially.
hu tao snorted. "let me tell u why, its because the dude was shorter than her " she laughed to which I hit her shoulder.
laughter was heard around the table, and it surely didn't go unnoticed by a certain violet haired male.

I locked eyes with him again while everyone else was busy conversing with each other. this time tartaglia was with him too, and a tall fair lady with dirty blonde hair was there as well, poking fun at poor tartaglia for something he was whining about while the other short red haired dude laughed at them.
it felt such a cliché right now. how his friends and my friends were all busy talking to each other and only we were the out of place ones, looking at each other.
some very unrealistic things were going on. and the fluttering in my stomach was not a good sign with mere eye contact we were sharing...
however, scaramouche wasn't smiling at me right now. there was no emotion behind the look he gave me. it was a relaxed, blanked out expression on his face i couldn't read.
he was so mysterious, it made me want to know even more about him for some reason.
he finally smiled at me.
this time, it felt like a genuine smile. no intentions behind it...
no mischief, nothing. just a sweet genuine smile.
I had the urge to smile back at him, and I couldn't hold my smile back either. it just automatically made its way to my face .
he looked away quickly as soon as tartaglia called him out.
however, i was too busy being entranced by him that i didn't notice kaeya calling me out.

"y/n? where r u looking at...oh-" he was interrupted when I turned around. albedo gave scaramouche a nasty look before he turned around too. beidou laughed "HA u into that shortie y/n?" she teased. "please no...ew" hu tao retorted back immediately sipping her drink with a disgusted face.
"what. no. im not into him" what a liar u r y/n.
"I'm not even surprised even if u were. I mean. he is very attractive, literally half the school has a crush on him at some point, boys included" thoma says casually shrugging. kaeya flicks his arm at that . "wouldn't be surprised either but we shouldn't let the newbie get distracted by mere assholes like him. he's also pretty much hated as much as he is liked " he sighed.
yanfei agreed with him. "he's a walking red flag. u get close to him, its hard to ever go back"
"one of my friends, is friends with him and the shit he tells me that boy does, God...I had to scold that kid for being friends with such an asshole" beidou chuckled.

"why is kazuha even friends with him in the first place?" albedo asked. "well surprisingly I'm not sure either but somehow kazuha needed inspiration for his new song that scaramouche's art piece from last year provided, that's how they got along" beidou answered his question. "according to zuzu, scaramouche is very inspirational to him..."

"whatever it is, he is a major bad news. if he starts hitting u up, u need to turn him down seriously. u see a man with an electro symbol on his neck, u immediately decline whatever he asks of u" thoma chirped in. "he's right. I've seen Mona cry about this man thousands of times. she told me he just broke up with her without any feelings of remorse and it made me want to punch the shit out of him" hu tao sneered, looking at the violet haired male who was conversing with his friends now. never had I ever seen this girl hiss at someone like she was right now.

God, how hated this man was...
he was like a criminal, ready to be arrested any given moment...
the warnings are all there, there is proof too, they're telling me to stay away from this man, literally. and for some reason, all of that made him seem somehow more attractive.
what had gotten into me. I have never been one to be into people like him.

he looked back again towards me while the table was once again busy gossiping about him. this time however, he walked over to the table. "oh no...." hu tao groaned under her breath as she saw him approach.
he took a seat in front of me, right next to where beidou was seated. tartaglia followed him behind, the rest of his friends just staring and sharing suspicious looks. looks that made me seem like the bad guy...

it really made me feel very....awkward.
I felt like I was the center of attention right now , and it SUCKED.

"I'm surely allowed to have lunch with u guys once In a while right?" he smiled at everyone. and I swear, it was the fakest smile I had ever seen anyone pull. a menace...
the audacity of this man to sit with the people who don't want to be associated with him...
beidou quirked a brow at him. "thought u were too popular to hang out with us Mr balladeer"
balladeer? thats a very strange nickname for someone like him.
tartaglia soon followed "hey y/n, how's it going?"

"u known him too?" thoma asked. tartaglia laughed slinging an an arm around my shoulders. "ofcourse she does, we are roomies" he smiled.
scaramouche's gaze shifted over to us now.

"u guys r roommates?" he quirked a brow at the ginger. "yeah? what bout it?"

scaramouche didn't answer, he just looked between me and tartaglia. "lowkey wanted ur roommate to be a nerdy girl to be honest, she could've been my roommate, gosh" he sarcastically answered making tartaglia hit his shoulder. hu tao just looked worriedly at me.
the entire table was now just looking between the 2 boys and me, pitying and wondering how unlucky I was to have gotten involved with the people I was being warned the most about...
"as much as we were tryna keep u out of trouble, looks like the biggest trouble itself is living with u" kaeya muttered out. i just rubbed my temples in an attempt to comprehend whatever was happening right now.

"word of advice, stay away from this stinky ginger. he is not very trustable y/n" scaramouche glared at tartaglia who glared back at him
"says u" albedo laughed out sarcastically. the tension that rose just from that simple sentence was enough to throw everyone on the table, including tartaglia, into an awkward silence.
goddamn, what happened between these 2...
kaeya however did not look happy in the slightest with this exchange of conversation.

he seemingly seemed even more annoyed if possible, at the way scaramouche was looking at albedo, almost a hinge of jealousy on his face.
and it made me feel the same. he was giving his infamous smirk to albedo.
the same one he threw at me this morning. the very known fuckboy look on his face.
why was he looking at albedo like that and not me?
"u know what. lunch is about to be over, we will see u next time y/n" tartaglia intervened and dragged scaramouche by his jacket to ease out the built up tension that had rose between the 2 short boys.

"hey I wasn't done talking to-"

"that man seriously needs to learn how to respect people's boundaries, archons!" yanfei gasped. "what an asshole, just sitting down so casually with us like nothing" kaeya scowled, which did not go unnoticed by beidou....
beidou noticed me looking at kaeya and gave me a knowing look that something in fact did disturb kaeya from this exchange between albedo and scaramouche.
albedo seemed fine though, he didn't notice anything at all and was oblivious to the matter...

however, we decided to not speak about it either and enjoy the rest of the lunch break in peace. with beidou understanding somehow, and sharing knowing looks with me whenever albedo and kaeya would interact, it was enough to know this was a matter to be spoken in privacy later.

there were no signs of scaramouche around anymore either. tartaglia surely had dragged him out of sight before he started some thing again...we were left alone once again.
a long sigh that I didn't even know I was holding in eased out of me.
oh boy
this year was about to be a tough one for sure...