Chapter Twenty-Two

Game day. That's all I can think as I wake up.

I walk downstairs already smiling. Surprisingly, David and Brooklyn are sitting at the table with bowls of cereal in front of them.

"What're you guys doing awake?" I ask, joining them.

I pour myself a bowl of Lucky Charms as they scroll through their phones.

"We're extremely jet lagged." Brooklyn answers. "I've been awake since 3 a.m."

I can't help but laugh. Jet lag is the worst. I don't think anyone is immune to it, and it just kind of creeps up on you. It's like you're baking a cake perfectly fine, then suddenly you're waking up on the couch at midnight, unable to get back to sleep.

"Do want to come to school with me?" I ask Brooklyn. "I can ask the principal if it's okay. He'll probably say yes because your David Beckham's son and I'm on the cherished soccer team."

Brooklyn shrugs. "It's better than staying here with this old man." He says, nodding towards his father.

David only laughs. "You're jealous you won't age as beautifully as me."

"Uh huh sure." Brooklyn says. "I'd love go hang out in American high school." He says.

"Great!" I exclaim happily. "My friends will love you. Be ready to go by seven." I say.

Brooklyn nods sleepily, running a hand through his hair.

David and I meanwhile get into a random conversation. After a few minutes about bickering over whether Zayn leaving One Direction was a good thing or not, I head back upstairs to get dressed.

I pull on a pair of jean shorts, a Sweden Zlatan Ibrahimovic jersey, and a pair of white Vans. Once I'm satisfied with my high ponytail, I re enter the living room.

By now my parents have joined David on the couch and they're enjoying each other's company.

"You ready to go?" I ask Brooklyn as he enters just behind me. He's dressed in his signature rolled up sleeves ensemble.

Brooklyn nods. "Yeah sure." He says, his deep British accent answering my question.

"Well let's go then. Bye Mom, Dad, and David. My game is at three at Patch High School. Apparently our first game is against our rivals." I say.

"Can't wait to see you play." David replies. "Have a good day, Brook."

Brooklyn and I head out to my car to drive to school. On the way their, Brooklyn updates me about his family. Apparently Harper has reached the grumpy toddler stage.

"We're here! Welcome to Weston High School." I sarcastically cheer. Today there was a huge banner wishing luck to the soccer team.

This school really appreciates their soccer team.

Brooklyn follows behind me in a beanie and shades. We enter the school that has posters advertising our game against Patch High School this afternoon. Brooklyn and I enter the office where I spot our receptionist.

"Good morning." I greet her. She's the same nice lady that helped me with my schedule on my first day here. "My dad called about me having a friend in class with me today."

She smiles. "Of course, Miss Messi. Let me get a visitor sticker for Brooklyn so the teachers don't try to kick him out." She says. We watch as she pulls out a yellow sticker and writes Brooklyn's name on it.

"That's so going to clash with my outfit."

The lady rolls her eyes at Brook's statement and sticks it to the front of his shirt.

"Have a good day."

"Thanks Mrs. Milligan." I say before exiting with Brooklyn behind me. I kind of feel his bodyguard right now.

"So I have chemistry first, so let's go there. I'm just going to take my backpack because I'm pretty sure I see that Cara chick waiting for me." I say to Brooklyn, pointing at the blonde girl that's admiring her nails whilst leaning against my locker.

"Who's 'that Cara chick'?" Brooklyn asks curiously.

"Some girl who is supposedly popular. She's also insanely jealous of incredibly good looks. Oh and she thinks I'm stealing all her boyfriends." I recall. "Here, hide me while we pass her."

As we near my locker, I walk on the other side of short little Brooklyn to avoid any sort of confrontation Cara has planned. I have a game I don't want to miss because of a detention caused by an angry teenage girl. Brooklyn on the other hand, checks her out, impressed with her blonde hair and tight shirt.

"Brooklyn, I swear I will call Victoria right this second if you don't take your eyes off of the Barbie." I threaten. Brooklyn rolls his eyes at me mumbling inaudible words at me.

We reach the chemistry classroom and I pull Brooklyn into the classroom. Athens is already sitting at our table, her feet kicked up on the table. She's carelessly reading something on her phone.

"Athens," I say. "This is my bud, Brooklyn. Brooklyn this is Athens." I introduce. Athens looks up, her eyes meeting Brooklyn. I watch as she freezes, amazed to be in the presence of someone famous.

"I'm never gonna get used to you knowing famous soccer players." Athens says, shaking her head. "Hi, it's nice to meet you." Athens says, smiling at Brooklyn.

"You too." He responds. I watch silently as a movie scene plays out before me. They both silently look at each other. I can cut the tension with a knife.

The bell rings, interrupting their stare down and immediately the classroom starts filling up. I pull a stool over to our table and sit on the side of the table. Some people see right past the famous teenager, but others can't stop themselves from, staring at him.

•••

"Game day!" A voice shouts, then a pair of hands grasp my shoulders.

"Hey Miles." I reply, not even looking at him. I take another bite of the sandwich my mom packed for me this morning. Brooklyn has an identical lunch.

It's silent for at least five seconds before Miles actually speaks. "Is that Brooklyn Beckham?"

"Nah," I reply. "That's my cousin, Jackson."

"You're hilarious, Carson." Miles says, stepping out to shake Brooklyn's hand. "Hey man, I'm Miles."

"Nice to meet you." Brooklyn replies. He's taken the seat next to Athens. I didn't think I'd ever see the day Athens blushed, but it's been happening all day. I never would've paired them together, but their actually really adorable.

"Carson, it's game day tradition to sit with the team at lunch." Miles says.

"Well I'm not a tradition player, so I'll stay here." I reply. Miles rolls his eyes. "And Brooklyn is my guest, so I am not abandoning him."

Realization crosses Miles' face for a second. "Is he that special guest we all need to impress at the game?"

I look over at Brooklyn. Brooklyn shrugs his shoulders in unison with me. Miles sills his eyes again, annoyed slightly.

"Well I'm not skipping tradition, so I'll see you both at the game." Miles pats my head before walking away.

"He's got a nice butt." Mary comments at Miles retreating behind. Bella smacks Mary's shoulder while I chuckle at them.

The bell rings shortly after. I wave goodbye to them, taking Brooklyn with me through the rest of my school day.