Chapter Eight

"Oomph." I grunt as Hershey wakes me up with his infamous head butt. I swear that dog has a cement skull. Hershey watches me with his big brown eyes. When he sees I'm about to get up, his tail starts wagging.

With a sigh I follow Hersh downstairs into the kitchen where I do the usual routine of feeding him, starting tea, and starting coffee for my parents.

I leave the kitchen and walk back upstairs. I reach my room and immediately head to my closet to pick out an outfit. I slip on a 5 Seconds of Summer concert shirt and a random pair of denim shorts. Next I slip on a pair of white Vans.

I leave my closet and head to my bathroom where I brush my hair and teeth. I pull my hair back into a high ponytail and call it done.

I quickly pack a soccer bag and grab my backpack. I shout a quick 'Goodbye' to my parents as I head out to my Jeep. I quickly stuff my bags into the passengers seat and start driving.

I'm already late somehow. Hershey must've been tired and slept in on me. That's why I slowly rushed.

I pull into the schools parking lot and park. I sling my backpack onto my back and pick up my duffel. Today people really stared at me as I make my way to the door. It's not really a glare, just kind of a curious stare. Guys still check me out as I pass.

I'm about to open the door to enter the building when somebody beats me to it. A cute guy with a jawline on fleek winks at me as he motions for me to enter.

"Thanks." I mutter as I enter the school, only for more people to look my way. I don't know what sparked everyones eyes but I swear everyone is staring at me as I pass. Everyone. Whether it's nerdy boys or popular girls, everyone.

I walk down the hallway that's parted for me until I reach my locker. People still watch me as I twist my combo into my lock.

"You guys like what you see?" I ask, irritated that everyone is watching me. I'm about to snap at anybody that is even facing my way when a voice interrupts me.

"Hey girl!" Athens says as she appears by my side. "Let's get to class." She recommends.

I'm more than willing so I follow her down the hallway and into our classroom. It's empty besides some kid that's sleeping at one of the back tables.

"Thanks for saving me back there. One more second and somebody would need some crutches." I say. Honestly that was kind of terrible. Usually it doesn't bother me, but this was a different kind of staring. It was weird and kind of terrible.

Athens shakes her head at me. "You asked for it. Congrats on being the very first girl to ever play soccer at Weston High." Athens says, watching me amusedly. "I heard you killed it."

I shrug. "I do what I can." I'm about to say more when the door bursts open to reveal a hyper and slightly nervous Miles.

"I didn't tell anyone your relations!" Miles says, coming to my side and giving me a bear hug. I watch him carefully, patting his back awkwardly.

"Should I give you two some privacy?" Athens jokes. I send her a glare but laugh anyway.

"News spreaded that your going to be playing on the team, so I just added to the rumor mill saying you were cool." Miles says sheepishly.

"Oh please." Athens says rolling her eyes. "She was a popular hit since three a clock yesterday when someone spotted her trying out. Everyone got a mass text, and by the end of the day she's Weston High's most talked about person. Good job beating out that Cara and Derek are back together again. Weston High's very own golden couple."

Mile snorts. "Gosh I hate Cara. She and her minions sit with us at lunch and it's obnoxious. Derek is only dating her because he's popular and she's popular. She's really clingy."

"You guys realize I don't know who Derek and Cara are right?" I ask. I really like Athens shoes, they're galaxy converse. She probably dyed them herself.

"Cara's the girl I showed you yesterday who sits with this dweeb and his dweeb boyfriends." Athens says, pointing at Miles.

Miles merely shrugs it off before adding, "Derek is one of the most popular guys in school. He's on our team. He's the one that told you to get off the field yesterday."

"What position does he play?" I ask. Athens makes a noise as if to say 'I don't do soccer language'.

"Right forward or pretty much striker." Miles says. It's a typical position for a popular person to play. I mean Uncle Leo, David Beckham, and Cristiano Ronaldo are all strikers but there can also be well known goalkeepers. You just have to be good like Manuel Neuer and Tim Howard.

"Well you better get to class." I say to Miles as I take a seat next to Athens who already found a table.

Miles gives me a weird look. "This is my class." He says, taking a seat behind me right as a bell rings and people pour into classrooms just like they did yesterday. I'm starting to realize people wait until the last second to come in.

Just like in the hallway, people watch me intently. It's not as bad though and I don't really mind. I mean, I've already told you it's normal for people to look at me.

Mr. Anchors comes in and starts droning on about how we should all know the elements and their atomic numbers by now, and I zone out.