Chapter Nine

"Well that was boring." Athens says as we walk towards the lunch room. Apparently she has algebra two before lunch and she hates it. Math just isn't her thing.

"Yup. At least we get a forty minute break though." I say as we enter the crowded cafeteria. By now people have calmed down and stopped staring at me. They just through me a few occasional glances, which I don't mind.

Athens nods and plops down next to Bella. I grin and sit down next to Mary, who's texting someone on her cellphone.

"Who's the secret lover?" I ask jokingly.

Mary rolls her eyes at me. "My mom? I'm texting her because I forgot my clarinet at home and the band teacher will kill me if I don't have it."

I nod accusingly. "Uh huh, sure. Clarinet." Mary laughs at my wiggly eyebrows and shoves her phone in my face to prove that she indeed was texting her mom.

"So Miles huh." Athens says. I guess this her way of starting conversation. I'll admit I don't mind that topic that much. "Do you have a crush?" She asks, taking a bite of her sandwhich. Her eyes watch me intently as she chews and swallows. She takes another bite without taking her eyes off of me.

Her question interests Mary and Bella. Both of them raise their eyebrows and listen intently. "You know Miles Marshall?" Bella asks.

"Yeah he came over for dinner last night. I told him my uncle is Lionel Messi. Now we're friends, I guess." I explain. Five seconds later I'm sprayed in the face with water. "Really? You had to drink water just to spit it in my face for dramatic effect." I say to Bella, who wipes the water off her face.

"Hey! I'm not the one lying about who my uncle is!" Bella says.

I roll my eyes at her. "Who says I'm lying." All three of their mouths drop open. I watch as they try to process that fact that my uncle is the record breaking legend.

"No way." Mary says. "There is no way. Why didn't you tell us?" She demands.

"In my defense I've only known you for two days, and you've never asked me what my last name is." I retort. I watch as they nod in understanding.

"You got his last name?" Mary asks excitedly. I nod and I watch as she grins. "Does anyone else but Miles and us know?" She asks.

"As far as I know, nope. But I'm sure anyone that knows my last name could probably infer it. I mean, how many peole do you know with the last name Messi?" I ask.

"Do you have any pictures?" Bella giggles. I nod and pull out my iPhone, opening the photos app. Pretty much all the pictures has one of the guys in it so I pass it across the table to Athens and Bella who happily scroll through the photos. They even giggle and point things out in the pictures. Once they're done they put in their contacts so we can text later.

"Oh em gee! Neymar is even hotter than he is on tv." Bella squeals at one of the pictures. I watch as she tries to sneakily text one of the pictures to herself.

"Did you just say omg, you dork?" Mary asks, taking a sip from her chocolate milk carton.

Athens giggles. "She just sent a shirtless picture of Neymar to herself. Hey Carson, why do you have shirtless pictures of him?" Athens asks curiously. She quirks an amused eyebrow.

"If you look closer in the picture, all of us are shirtless." I say which only adds fuel to the fire.

"Woah! Carson's running around shirtless with pro athletes!" Mary says suggestively.

Luckily, before this got too out of hand, Athens interrupts Mary. "Do you guys want to come over tonight? Girls sleepover at my place. I can promise at least four bags of chips and various types of candy."

All of us grin at each other. "Of course. Text me your address." I say. "I'm so glad its friday."

"I am--" Mary's interrupted by the bell announcing that we have to go back to our classes.

All of us groan in unison but reluctantly stand up and throw away our trash. Muttering 'see you later's we head our separate ways.

Two hours later and I'm so glad I have something to motivate me to exercise. If I wasn't on a soccer team the chances I would get active would be slim to none. Plus I love sweating when exercising and if that meant I had to run a half marathon in the hot Californian weather, than so be it. Hand me my running shoes.

I skip the locker room filled with Barbies and head for a bathroom stall. I quickly change into (coincidently) Neymar Brazil Fifa World Cup jersey. Did you know they sell these things online. You an even get the jerseys personalized with your own last name.

I slide on a pair of normal black spandex. Its the stuff volleyball players play games in so its not like I'm advertising my underwear or butt. Finally I pull yellow and black socks over my shin guards and step out of the bathroom.

As I enter the field I'm immediately tackled. I hit the ground with a thud and I hear a muttered curse word.

"Yeah, Miles why are you laying your 200 pound self on me?" I ask.

Miles snickers. "Don't you like the feel of my abs on me?" When he hears my 'mhmm' he smirks egotistically. "I was hoping to start a dog pile. Its a soccer team initiation thing, but considering no one joined I don't think they're ready."

Miles pushes himself off me, purposely straddling me between his arms. His smirky face winks as he finally gets up. Despite him thinking he's a tease, he sticks out a hand to help me up. I send him a sweet smile and grab his hand, pulling him down onto the ground while I stand up.

"Thanks for the help, boo" I say. Some of the guys watching laugh. I blow Miles a kiss that he catches and puts into his heart. I don't have a crush on Miles. Its more of a friendship where we are totally comfortable. I can't see us being anything more, he's just too funny. Plus he probably uses girls. Don't tell him I said that!

I turn and set down bag with everyone else's and when I turn round the atmosphere has changed. I see coach walking towards us just like yesterday, only today someone stands beside him. The guys stop talking and line up, turning serious.