Chapter Twenty-Three

"All soccer players are dismissed. You are to meet in the parking lot after getting appropriately dressed." The announcement says, halfway through Mrs. Hill's lecture.

I stand up timidly, Brooklyn following me. Oddly enough, the classroom applauds us as we exit the classroom. That must be California thing because it's slightly awkward.

"I'll wait for you in the parking lot." Brooklyn says as we come upon the girls locker room.

I nod and enter the dimly lit room. I find my locker and pull off my shirt before opening it up. The room is silent besides the clinging noise of me unlocking the locker.

I quickly change into my long sleeved keeping jersey, then toss an Adidas hoodie on top of it. Then I pull matching sweatpants over the white shorts. I finally slip my feet into a pair of slides. I redo my ponytail and admire the very Adidas outfit. Today when I play I will do my family name justice.

It's not easy being Lionel Messi's niece. The second people find out you share the same DNA, they expect you to have the same feet as your uncle. I think that's why I chose goalkeeping. No one can have expectations because Leo never played that position. I keep my agile little feet to myself as best I can, as long as I can.

I pull my backpack over my shoulders and walk out the doors of the locker room and outside. It takes me a few minutes to make it to the buses. All the guys are already there staring at Brooklyn, their attentions focused on him. Brooklyn jokes around with them, grinning with the rest of them. Boys.

"Nice of you to join us, Miss Messi." Coach West's patronizing voice says as I join the group.

"No problem." I reply, turning and smiling at him. Why did such a beautiful face have such an ugly attitude?

"Everyone on the bus!" Coach calls. Everybody ushers onto the bus and I sit with Brooklyn, then Miles and Derek find themselves on the bench next to us.

"I've always wanted to know what American school buses felt like on the inside. Now I wish I hadn't known." Brooklyn comments. He eyes the piece of gum stuck on the back of the seat in front of us warily. I laugh at the look of disgust that covers his face.

The bus ride is an hour or so before we pull up to a nice high school. It's big with a big stadium for football games and soccer and track meets. Our bus parks in its parking lot and Coach gets up.

"Everyone behave and be respectful. I know their our rivals, but just being better athletes will be better than having a bad reputation. Now let's teach Patch High that their season isn't going to be easy!" Coach says. Everyone cheers and we get off the bus, leaving the stench of feet and sweat behind. Instead the air smells of nature and happiness.

We all walk along a sidewalk to get to the stadium. The field is set up with white soccer goals, and I smile. First real game of the season!

"Alright warm up. We'll let you all know who is playing once you're done. Game starts in fifteen, so be ready to play if you have to." Coach Leeper explains.

I haven't met the rest of the team besides the guys who usually start, but I feel bad if they get to start. Brooklyn wishes me luck, then he leaves the field to go to the stands where my parents and David are sitting on the front row.

"Smile!" David yells, getting a few looks. He's holding out his phone looking ridiculous as he's leaning over the fence wearing a hoodie, hat, and sunglasses.

I smile to appease my family as they snap pictures of me, even though I've had countless soccer matches. They treat me as a normal child, even if I have unordinary family ties to soccer. It's nice to have them keep me on the ground sometimes.