9

II  PREVIOUSLY IN HE'S BACK II

Kioku's body was being crushed into the ground like a soda can. The Nomu then lifted Kioku's head, revealing his terrified eyes, before snapping his arms and slamming his face into the concrete.

Chapter 9: Aftermath 

It took both Aizawa and Kirishima to hold back Katsuki from attacking the Nomu. Katsuki didn't understand why he was being held back. He had just watched Kioku get smashed into a pulp, and he was supposed to just remain in the background?

Shoto felt all the blood completely drain from his face as he saw fresh blood start to pool around Midoriya's head. He didn't ask for Midoriya to save him. He could've easily frozen everything in ice. 

He finally caught his breath, standing up to shoot ice at the Nomu. He had forgotten who he was for a second. He was the son of the Number Two hero. He was a prodigy. And he definitely did not need assistance from a lousy quirkless boy. 

Eventually, thanks to the arrival of numerous pro heroes, the battle was wrapped up fairly quickly. 

There weren't any serious injuries other than the two teachers and Midoriya. 

Kioku was carried away by three students to the paramedics. 

The sight of Midoriya's condition made Katsuki feel sick to his stomach. The thought of being completely useless while Kioku suffered like this made him feel uneasy. 

"I'm getting blood on me!" shrieked Mineta. "How much longer do we have to carry Midoriya?"

"Until we get to the front entrance. Sensei said there would be paramedics right out front. Poor Midoriya. Hopefully he recovers soon. After seeing him push aside Bakugou and Todoroki to sacrifice himself, I realized I underestimated his heart." Asui stood in between Mineta and Bakugou. 

Katsuki grit his teeth. He didn't want to consider that Kioku had tried to save him. He wanted to be able to completely hate Kioku without any guilt. 

"I guess so. He'll probably be in the hospital for a while. This is what happens when you battle quirkless. I'm glad that wasn't me." 

"Yeah, well that monster would've probably wiped the floor with you too. You saw Aizawa. His quirk didn't nullify the Nomu's abilities even a little bit." 

"Yeah, yeah, I get it."

III

It turned out that Kioku had a skull fracture with severe internal bleeding. His arms had both been broken. His left arm, however, had a radial head fracture that required surgery. 

He had surprisingly survived all of the damage done to his body, thanks to quick timing. He was already in recovery by Thursday.

He was currently sitting at his hospital bed with a strip of gauze going around his face. His body felt fatigued thanks to the medications he was given for pain control. 

"Midoriya." When Aizawa entered his hospital room, Kioku avoided making eye contact. He would never admit it directly, but he was feeling embarrassment about his failure to stay out of harm's way. 

"Why are you here?" Both of Kioku's arms were wrapped up bandages. "Are you here to tell me how overly impulsive I was?"

"Have the nurses treated you already? By the looks of it, your head injury seems to be taken care of."