48

Chapter 48: The Last Chance II

"Uh-what?" Kioku blinked twice. He turned his head to Chizome, who was eating his food quietly. "You're gonna train me?"

"You bet. Everyday we'll be training our physical bodies. We're gonna look like those guys on those silly reality tv shows." Klyde flexed his sallow arm.

"But, are you in the condition to be-" Kioku was interupted by a boney hand shushing him.

"Ah-, You need to rejuvenate your body and your mind. As you can see, I'm a bag of bones and arthritis. But, I'm a master at zen."

Chizome looked up from his plate. "I'll be training you, Kioku. And don't expect me to go easy on you. I know what you are capable of."

Kioku's breath hitched. "I-"

"It's gonna be nothing like that softy, Aizawa."

Aizawa? A softy? Him? Really?

"We start tomorrow morning. Be prepared."

III

Shota abruptly sneezed, wiping his nose with a handkerchief.

The match had begun, and just like Ms. Joke had predicted, UA was immediately rushed by all of the surrounding schools.

"What did I say? You should take me more seriously, Eraser."

Shota didn't even spare a look to Ms. Joke. The person with the word 'JOKE' in her hero name wanted to be taken seriously by him?

"You guys are getting demolished by the media, y'know. What do you plan to do? Ignore them?"

"Alright, I get what you're trying to say. Mind your own business, will you?"

"You can't escape your problems, Shota." Ms. Joke, now completely straight-faced, stared back at the match. "You can't ignore things forever just because it scares you-"

Shota suddenly was overwhelmed with anger. He slammed his palm against the bench, standing up. "Stop it."

Ms. Joke flinched back in her seat.

ONE MONTH AGO

Shota was always on Night Patrol, being an underground hero and all. Every single night for the last five weeks he had gone out and searched everywhere. The old base being used for the League Of Villains had been destroyed.

His only hope lied with the search for a man by the name of Chisaki Kai, the new young head of the Yakuza, which was the only connection he could find to the Hassaikai.

How long was he hurting you?

Shota turned off the light in his bedroom. It was the first night in four weeks where he didn't have Night Patrol. There was no way he'd actually be able to sleep knowing that somewhere out there, Kioku might be dead.

And he was correct. It was another night of sleeplessness.

Shota got out of his bed and threw on a jacket and a pair of walking shoes.

III

The air wasn't warm anymore. Summer was over. The leaves had started to fall.

At this time of the night, everything was silent except for the breeze and the humming of fluorescence.

Shota didn't mind the lack of warmth; it didn't bother him.