17. Dinner

Y/n POV

Becky came into the room. She told Hailey off for not telling her we had guests and told us to get ready. "Dress nicely ladies!" She said in a singsong voice as she left. I tried my best to not roll my eyes. "I am not changing" April protests. Hailey and I nod. "Yeah lets just go as is" We all agree and walk downstairs.

"I thought I told you to dress nicely" Becky forces a smile. "You are not my mother and I'm sure you already know that" Hailey says. Beckys smile drops. She looks angry. She whispers something to Hailey. Hailey looks furious. "Oh well we can't be late so lets just go" She says. We silently step outside and walk over to Finns house. 

Finns mother opened the door for us. Although she was extremely polite this was all just too much. She greeted us and guided us into her dining room which was bigger than my Will to live. Finn sat down at the table with a hoodie and shorts. He looked bored. His eyes lit up when he saw us. "Y/n!" He exclaimed happily and stood up to greet me.

"Finn" I smiled and hugged him tightly. "I'm so sorry about my mum dragging you guys here" He whispered cautiously. I shook my head. "Its fine! We didn't have anything important anyways" I replied. Finns mum looked at Finn. "Oh uhm its also great to see you two as well" He said with a smile. Hailey raised and eyebrow while April nodded softly.

Becky looked at Hailey. "Its a pleasure to see you again" She said. She looked away so she could roll her eyes at Beckys incompetent actions. Finn gave a nod before turning back to me. "Okay now you guys sit on that end so the adults can have a chat" Finns mum said sweetly. 

I smiled. "Thank you Miss Wolfhard" I said politely. She gave me a smile. "Yes thank you" April nodded excessively. Becky cleared her throat. She was clearly annoyed as Hailey didn't react at all. "Oh yes thank you miss Wolfhaard" Hailey said a few seconds later. Finns mom instantly lit up. "No worries but please, call me Lauren" She said with a warm smile.

My smile faded a tiny bit. For the whole dinner Hailey was all they could talk about. Hailey seemed extremely uncomfortable from this. We were four seats away from the mothers and I couldn't help but listen in on their conversation. "Your daughter seems lovely. By any chance does Hailey have a boyfriend?" Miss Wolfhard asked Becky. 

Becky forced an extremely fake and dramatic laugh. She shook her head as she spoke. "No my dear Hailey hasn't been seeing anyone" Becky exclaimed in her fake tone. Hailey who had been listening as well looked very pissed. "Are you okay?" Finn asked. I turned to him.

"I'm fine!" I squeaked. His concerned expression eased a bit. "Okay you just seem a little tense" He said with a small smile. "Oh sorry about that, I just want your mum to like me" I admitted sheepishly. A small laugh escaped his lips. "Don't worry about what my mum thinks" He said and stared into my eyes. "So you think she won't like me?" I said with a teasing smile as I stared back into his eyes.

"No but it wouldn't matter anyways" He said and patted my head. The head pat was probably a warning that he just friend zoned me. "She can't choose who my friends are or will be" There it was. He had just friend zoned me. I smiled and nodded as I tried to hide my disappointment. April stared at us. "What are your expectations with Y/n?" She asked. I snapped my head towards her.

Finn looked confused. "What do you mean?" He asked and looked between April and I. "What she means is-" Hailey began to try and stop April. "What I mean is do you like Y/n or are you trying to lead her on?" She interrupted Hailey. "April stop" I said. "Finn and I are just..are just" I felt like gagging as I struggled to finish my sentence. 

Finn looked uncomfortable. He turned to me. "just?" He said promptly, waiting for me to finish my sentence. My throat felt extremely dry. I drank from my glass which contained water. "We are just friends." I finished and sipped from my drink quietly. Finn seemed upset as I finished my sentence. 

Hailey scoffed. "So..you guys are like fuck buddies?" She asked stupidly. I almost spat my drink out. April looked concerned for Haileys health. "What?" April said slowly. Finn and I glanced at each other before we both laughed. April laughed along. The parents glanced at us with weird looks. "What is in that drink of yours?" I asked Hailey with a smile as the tension from before left.

"I'm sorry I must have mistaken the whine and juice" Lauren said casually. "Oh its okay" I said and smiled. She paid no attention to me. Instead she turned to Hailey. "Hailey I heard you aren't dating anyone" She said with a grin. Hailey looked to me and April. I shrugged. "Uh I guess I'm not dating anyone then" Hailey said with an uncomfortable smile. 

"Finn isn't dating anyone either!" Becky said cheerfully. My heart dropped. "You guys would make such a cute couple" Lauren said and smiled. "Mum stop" Finn said but Lauren waved her hands. "What? We're just saying" Becky said with her ugly grin. I stared down at my plate. "Y/n, don't you think Finn and Hailey would make a great couple?" Lauren asked me. 

I looked back at her with shock. I looked up at Finn, he looked annoyed at his mum. "Yeah uh Hailey and Finn would make a great couple" I managed. Tears threatened to spill. "Uh I'm sorry can I use your bathroom Miss Wolfhard?" I asked. "the third room on your left" She said with a smile and pointed in the direction. I thanked her and walked off as the tears flowed down my cheek.