Talk

YEJI

These past few days have been a little off. Ryujin has been distant, and secretive. I didn't want to ask her about it because I didn't want to seem pushy, and overprotective but it's been bothering me. At night she acts all nervous and whenever I wrap my arms around her she goes all stiff. I ran through ideas of what could be bothering her but there was nothing logical.

I knew she wouldn't be having second thoughts of us but there was a voice in the back of my head telling me otherwise. Right now I was sitting in my office staring at nothing. Ryujin told me she was leaving for lunch break, now usually that would seem harmless but she always asks me if I want something.

There was a knock on my door and I looked up. Lia came in and closed the door behind her. "Hey, Dave's assistant called and asked when they should expect your book to be published." I sighed and shrugged my shoulders. Usually it takes me less than a year to finish a book but for this year has been fucking complicated. Ryujin is constantly on my mind, everyday I worry that she can be with someone else, or she could change her mind.

"Uh, early next month." I said as I grabbed my notebook and pen out my drawer. Lia seemed to catch onto my attitude and squinted her eyes at me. She walked up to me and sat down in the chair in front of my desk.

"What's wrong?" She asked as she crossed her legs and looked at me like she knew something was wrong. I have been friends with Lia for years, I love her so much and I know I can't keep anything from her, but to be fair, I never want to keep anything from her.

"I think Ryujin is cheating on me." I quickly said with no hesitation. Her eyes opened wide and so did her mouth. She sighed and usually she would make a joke about me being over dramatic but she knew I was serious. She stood up and walked around my desk. I watched as she kneeled down in front of me and made me face her. She grabbed my hands and squeezed them.

"Yeji. Look at me." I reluctantly looked at her. "Ryujin loves you so much. Within these past few months I have seen you smile more than the last ten years. There is no way she would sleep with someone else when she has worked so hard to get you." I wanted to believe her so badly but I am insecure about myself. I have never been good enough for anyone so why would I be good enough for her. She could tell I was having doubts and sighed. "When you publish this book you and Ryujin are going to go on a trip for three months." I was the one to sigh this time.

She stood up and gave my hands one last squeeze. "Can you at least talk to her?" I asked. She pushed her lips together and nodded her head.

"If it will make you less nervous, fine." I thanked her and she just patted me on my shoulder. I watched as she left my office and for the first time in my life my anxiety was at its peak.

LIA

I waited patiently at the booth while bouncing my leg up and down. I had absolutely nothing to be worried about so I don't know why I'm nervous. I told Ryujin to meet me at a café that's down the street from the office after work. She told me she had somewhere to be and when I asked her where she just agreed to meet me.

At that moment I knew she was hiding something but I couldn't tell if it was good or not. Well it clearly is something bad otherwise she would have told me. When Yeji first talked to me I just thought that Ryujin was trying to find a way to propose but like I said, if that was the case she would have told me.

I looked at my watch to see she was ten minutes late and I was starting to get annoyed. I sighed as I was getting ready to leave but saw her coming. I crossed my legs as she walked in and then walked over towards me. "Sorry I'm late. I had a few errands to run." She had a little smile on her face which made me question everything about her. Once she saw that I wasn't happy she slightly laughed. "What's wrong?" I took a sip of my coffee and shrugged my shoulders.

"Do you have any plans for tomorrow?" I asked trying not to just throw out the question I wanted the answer to. She looked as if she was thinking and then shook her head no.

"None that I can think of, why?" I was so upset right now because she was smiling. I have never been one to be like that but seeing as I have got attached to her and she might be playing Yeji hurts. I know she's not though. I haven't known Ryujin for a long time but she's not like that. I shook my head trying to get rid of the negative thoughts and smiled.

"So, have you planned your proposal to Yeji yet?" She nervously chuckled and scratched the back of her head. The look of doubt crossed her head and I knew she was getting ready to lie. My attitude came back to me and I tried to hide it while drinking my coffee. All of a sudden her phone started to ring. She took it out of her pocket and then looked at me. She answered it and turned her head as if she was trying to hide it from me.

"Wassup?" There was a slight silence and I tried to be as quiet as possible so I could hear but it was hard. "Are you serious?" She asked as if she was irritated. She sighed. "Ok. Here I come. And don't try anything." She hung up her phone and looked back at me. "This interrogation was fun but I have to go." She stood up and I just shook my head letting all of my negative thoughts run wild.

"Are you cheating on her?" I said with no hesitation. She stopped moving and looked down at me.

"What? Wh-why would you think that?" I could see she was serious now and my attitude subsided. I stood up too and faced her.

"Because Yeji thinks you are. Now usually I would just say she's in her head but from what I just saw, I see why she thinks that. So, I'm asking again. Are you cheating on her?" I know that was harsh and I've never talked to her like that but I need to know. I have seen Yeji hurt before and I don't want to see it again. Yeji is my sister and I will let no one break her.

"No. I'm not." Ryujin said with frustration in her eyes. She was pissed now and that's all I needed. I still don't know if she's lying or not but for Yeji's sake and hers, I hope she's not.

"Then what's with all the secrecy?"

"That is none of your damn business." She quickly said. There was no turning back at this point. She was going to be upset with me for a few days and as long as she's not doing anything stupid I understand. I watched as she bit her tongue and shook her head. She backed away from me and left.

I was still standing there not knowing what to do.

I picked up my purse and coffee and walked back to the office. As I got off the elevator I went to Yeji's office not surprised that she's still here. She only stays late when she doesn't want to go home. Once she saw me she stopped typing on her computer. "What did she say?" She asked me as if she didn't care but I knew she did. I slightly shook my head and sighed as I looked down.

"I want to give her the benefit of the doubt but Yeji," I opened my mouth to say something but didn't know what. She understood what I was saying and leaned back in her chair. She looked up as if she was trying to stop herself from crying and honestly I was trying not to too.

"Ok. Thank you." Was all she said as she wiped her eyes and went back to looking at her computer. I closed my eyes because I could tell she was in pain.

Her phone started to ring and I looked to see Ryujin's face pop up. She looked at it and hesitantly answered it. As she put it to her phone she accidentally hit the speaker with her cheek. "Hello?" She said with a plain voice.

"Hey I was wondering if you could come home. I need to talk to you." It went dead silent and Yeji's face stayed motionless.

"What for?" She asked as she cleared her throat. I could see the fear hidden in her eyes and all I could do was play with my fingers.

"I think it would be better if it was in person."