[Sweet and Sour]

Staring at his phone screen, Yoohan took a deep drag of the cigarette in his hand and sighed. He found himself staring at his phone a lot these days, even though there was nothing there.

It was exactly because there was nothing there that he couldn't help but stare.

For the past two years, he had been assaulted daily by text messages that came from abroad. From a simple order of going to therapy, daily reminders for eating his meals, to random trivia quizzes that were filled with annoying teasing remarks.

For two years, he'd been steadily paying back the madman he met on a stupid one-night stand that evolved into more than one night, apparently. He wanted to pay the man back quickly, but he also needed money for that therapy on his hormones, so he couldn't do it as swiftly as he wanted.

Which meant he had to pay longer interest to an alpha that seemed too keen to get on his pants for amusement.

At least, true to his words, the man did not bother him further than those text messages. He never came to visit Yoohan, so the hybrid didn't need to get distracted by his presence. Yoohan had already pissed himself enough by using the leftover alpha scent in the clothes he wore that day to jerk off secretly—he didn't need to be reminded about it by the alpha's presence.

And then, after almost two years, he finally managed to pay back all of his debts a few days ago. He expected the alpha to bombard him with messages, telling him to get ready for living abroad or whatever. He was also half wishing the man to completely forget about their arrangement.

But against all his expectations, the madman alpha stopped contacting him ever since.

And now Yoohan was feeling jittery. Was it because he'd been used to those messages for two years? Or was it because he had a foreboding feeling of something about to happen?

"Yoohan, the previous shift is almost done," a face popped up from the door, and Yoohan put his phone back in his pocket. He put out his cig and threw it into the bin, before getting back inside the bar he'd been working at for the past one and a half years.

The guy calling him earlier looked at him with narrowed eyes as they walked through the back hall. "You're getting dumped or something?"

"What the fuck?" Yoohan gave the guy a side-eye, looking flabbergasted.

"Dunno, you've been staring at your phone like waiting for someone to call you or something," the guy shrugged, and smirked when he saw Yoohan put on a sour face. "Well, if you really got dumped, there's this beta friend of mine that has been asking for your number—"

"I'm not even in a relationship..." Yoohan muttered in annoyance as they entered the staff rest area.

"Huh, really?" the guy raised his brow in surprise. "I thought that's why you've never responded to any alphas and omegas hitting on you,"

"Yoohan despised alpha in the first place," another voice chimed in, from a beta woman with a server uniform, who looked at them with a playful smile.

It prompted another guy, an alpha bartender, to make a comment with a chuckle. "Really? I thought Yoohan just don't like everyone equally,"

"I just don't like you, Sunbae," Yoohan said nonchalantly, and the alpha bartender cackled.

"Wow, I feel so special," he gave out a playful wink while opening the door toward the hallway leading to the bar. "Let's go, show me how much you hate me by surpassing me, Lee Yoohan."

The hybrid scoffed, but there was no hostility in his tone. After working together for more than a year, everyone already knew the sharp tongue and stoic face of Lee Yoohan covered a soft layer underneath. He seemed cold and arrogant the first time, just because he had a sharp gaze and rarely spoke. But soon, they saw how hard he worked, and despite his ignorance, Yoohan was observant and had a deep understanding of his environment.