(9) Sweet Home.. Not.

════════════════════════════

Silence was observed as your eyes scanned the area that was once free from intruders.

"We're surrounded."

"Thanks, Captain Obvious," you side-eyed. You took hold of your dagger's hilt, staying vigilant from any sudden movements from the bandits that have completely taken hold of every possible corner. From what you can see.. there must be 15 to 20..?

Kanata muttered a command. A strange light blue glow disappeared and black gloves with metallic add-ons wrapped her previously bare hands. Whilst Flare reaches for her longsword, a rather different look on her face from what you were used to.

"What do we do?" You ask.

In games and movies, when your team is surrounded by a large group of big hurly men, you don't immediately act on stupid adrenaline. You have to keep calm and rationale, waiting for a command from the experienced group leader, in this case: Flare.

Flare's amber eyes roamed from place to place, emitting a soft orange glow. She must be using an ability.

"Play it cool. See what they want first."

She stated. You shared eye contact before nodding.

Dropping the attacking stance which baffles your opponents, you ask, "What do you want?"

They looked at each other and then looked back at you. They didn't answer.

"Money? Fame? Power?" You continue, "I'm sorry but we don't have that. We're just newbie adventurers with enough money to start on our journey."

Lying bastard.

You could read it on their faces. They don't believe you. You ruffle your hair in annoyance and look back at Flare who shrugged. Perhaps asking nicely might do the trick.

"So.. let us pass through, yeah?"

A guy walked to the front. He was equipped with a hood and scarf that covered most of her features but he wasn't a stranger to training. You can see the muscles that poke through thin black fabric. He yielded a broadsword that was perfect for his mass.

"I'm sorry, but we can't let you do that! That dumbass boss told us to specifically capture Mister Y/N alive, which means you, handsome fellow!" He winked at you, which sent shivers down your spine. Light traveled to the soles of his shoes, and leaped forward.

What happened?! Suddenly he's in front of you. You couldn't even act at all.

He swings his broadsword at you, but you manage to block it with your dagger. The force flung you meters away from where you originally were.

"Y/N! Are you o-" Kanata was cut off by another bandit, appearing behind her, knocking her backwards.

"Kanata!"

Flare ran to her and swung the sword into his face but he deflected it. Before you knew it, all of the bandits were rushing to your group.

"You shouldn't take your eyes off of an opponent, Mister Y/N!" The hooded man yelled and rushed to you. Despite his mass, he had incredible speed. He was more or less faster than you.

You clicked your tongue.

Clanking of metals were heard from outside the gates. It's been going on for minutes now and the white haired knight was getting worried.

"Hey, I'll be going out. Keep watch for me, 'kay?" She told her fellow guard. He nodded.

"Okay, Noel. Take care!"