Chapter 1: The Performance

It felt amazing to be on stage again. Hearing people singing her songs, her lyrics, at the top of their lungs with pure joy. Who needs heroin or coke? this felt like the best drug in the world. Brooke closed her eyes and stood in awe as she ended the last song and drank in the cheering fans in front of her.

She opened her eyes and raised the mic to her lips.

"Thank you! Thank you guys so much" she exclaimed. "You're amazing"

Brooke looked down at the smiling curly-headed girl standing in front of the stage and said "Happy Birthday Chloe! I hope this year is your best year yet! Come on up here and let us sing Happy Birthday to you!"

Brooke reached down and extended her hand to bring Chloe on stage. Chloe happily grabbed Brooke's hand and climbed up and stood next to her. Brooke gave her a quick side hug. She was sweaty after the 2 hour show but Chloe didn't seem to mind.

"Ok everyone let's sing Happy Birthday to Chloe... on three... 1, 2, 3...."

And the crowd began to sing. Chloe's face lit up and she beamed at her family and friends in the small audience. As the song came to an end, Brooke gave her another quick hug and stepped down from the stage.

Chloe was immediately surrounded by her friends on stage that wanted to give her congratulatory hugs and take pics. Brooke was able to slip out of the side opening of the tent and walk toward the house.

The cool ocean air felt good on her skin and even though it was dark the light from the large full moon and the festive lights all around Mike's property made it easy to find her way. She stopped halfway to the house at the pool and took off her wedge sandals and dipped her foot into the cool water. It felt refreshing and Brooke seriously considered jumping in with all her clothes on. But of course she couldn't. It wasn't that kind of party. And she was hired to do a job. The truth was she felt great, maybe the best she had in months.

It had been over a year since she'd been on stage and almost 2 years since she had released any new music. Brooke lightly shook her head as she stared into the pool, lost in thought. All she ever wanted to do was create music. Her father gave her the love of music, he would play his favorite records on the weekends she went to visit him when she was a kid. And they would talk about music and Brooke would dance around the living room, singing and laughing with him. He also encouraged her dream of doing music professionally and would be proud of all she had accomplished, if he was still here. He died 7 years ago, when Brooke was 18 in a tragic car crash, coming home from work.

Her eyes misted over when she thought of him. It still hurt so much not having him here. She missed him every day. He left her and her sister a sizable amount from a life insurance policy. And with that money Brooke was able to make her dream of pursuing a music career a full-time reality. Her dad was still taking care of her even after he was gone. He was truly her hero.

"Gonna get in?" a voice said coming from behind her

Brooke jumped a little, feeling startled. She thought she was alone. She turned around to see a man sitting at the edge of a pool chair several feet away. How long had he been there? She didn't notice anyone as she walked up to the pool, but to be honest, she hadn't been paying close attention to her surroundings.

"Um, no... I was on my way back to the house" she stammered, backing away from him and towards the soft glow of Mike's home.

"Good show." he said standing up but not moving toward her

"Thanks, it was really fun. Glad to be part of Chloe's night." she said as her eyes began to focus on the man speaking.

"You definitely made her night... and all those kids. They loved it. You are very talented." he said, taking a step toward her. "If you're going into the house, you'll want to use the side door, I don't think anyone is in there and Mike locked the patio door. I can lead the way if you like."