Chapter 13: Magic

Brooke instantly responded to his kiss-- it was a response that had become automatic over the past few days. Their mouths fit together like they were made for each other. He tasted like sweet bourbon and menthol cigarettes. It would have been so easy to forget how hurt she was earlier today and just allow herself to disappear into this kiss like she had so many times before, but not this time.

No, she wanted to talk. Her feelings were involved now and she wanted more than just a quick drunken fuck in the middle of the night. She was still fairly inebriated and while she felt brave, she was going to get some answers.

"Adam, no..." she said softly and pulled away from him.

He instantly let her go. He stepped back, seemingly startled by her rejection. Even in the dark kitchen, she could see his dark eyes questioning her.

"What is it?" he said, turning to close the door behind him.

"Shhhhhh...Sav is sleeping" she whispered and motioned him to follow her.

They made their way down the long hallway and into her bedroom. She shut the door and turned to find him sitting on the edge of the bed looking at her.

Goddamn, why did he have to be so sexy? He was wearing what he had on when he left her this morning. A dark blue sweater and jeans. His hair was messy but the kind of messy that looked on purpose and sexy. His brown eyes, those Scorpio eyes, were looking at her with a naked desire that made a shiver go up her spine and made her lose her breath.

"What's wrong?" he said again. Brooke kept her distance standing near the door not trusting herself to be any closer to him.

"Why didn't you text me today?" she blurted out. "I was waiting all day. I kept checking my phone... I just felt like maybe you got what you wanted and I wasn't going to hear from you again."

Tears sprung to her eyes. She had too much alcohol in her system to control them.

"I mean, I care about you and I don't understand it because it's been only a couple of days and these feelings seem like too much. But it's like you've busted through this wall that I had built up to protect my emotions and it feels like a waterfall has been let loose..." she kept going. "I don't know what to do because I don't know how to make this waterfall of emotion stop."

She shook her head a little wondering if she was making any sense at all. Her mind, her words, her emotions were jumbled up and nothing felt clear.

"Baby..." he said softly. "Come here."

He held out his arm beckoning her to sit next to him on the bed. Brooke went and sat down on the bed but she kept an arms length distance between them.

Adam let out a long sigh and pursed his lips. He was looking at her intently but with a gentleness in his eyes.

"I can't stop thinking about you" is what he said when he finally spoke.

"If you are asking me if I understand what you are feeling, the answer is yes. And I agree, It doesn't make any sense. My phone died while I was out with my family. I didn't have a charger so I couldn't contact you. I'm sorry you spent your day thinking I didn't want to talk to you. That wasn't the case." he said.

"There are a million reasons why we should stop this now. I mean, shit, I'm more than 20 years older than you. We are at such different places in lives and we live on opposite sides of the country and that's just to start. I have..." he stopped as if contemplating carefully what he was going to say next.

"My life is more complicated than you know and I don't see how this won't end without someone getting hurt..." he let his sentence trail off.

"Then why are you here? Why not just say it was a fun weekend and leave it at that." she asked him feeling annoyed.

"Because I can't stop wanting you. It's like you are this drug. The best fucking drug I've ever had and I need you now. I crave the feel of your skin, your lips on mine, how sweet you taste when I eat you."

Brooke let out a little gasp. She was turned on thinking of the visual of him between her legs. Her breath was uneven and she was having a hard time catching it. Her heart was racing and everything in the room was hazy and out of focus, everything except him. She felt the slickness between her legs and that sweet pulsating feeling in her pussy. She never wanted anyone so badly in her life. But she sat paralyzed on the bed, not able to move.

"I shouldn't be here. I should have left my sister's house and driven straight home, but I started driving and I ended up here. Praying I could see you. Praying I could get that fix, that high, that only you give me."

He sounded like he'd been fighting an internal battle and he'd finally given up and surrendered to this need. To her.

"Tell me to go and I will," he said quietly.

"Please tell me to go" he begged, looking down at the floor.

Brooke had no words. She couldn't speak, even if she wanted to. She felt weak from his voice, his words, his mere presence. She was weak with wanting him. He was her drug too.

Brooke finally found the strength to move and quickly closed the space between them, her mouth searching for his. When their lips touched she heard him softly moan. They kissed each other hungrily, greedily, their hands everywhere, getting tangled up in each other. When they broke apart for a moment to breathe, Adam started laughing softly and she smiled, understanding his laugh was one of relief and euphoria. Their addictions were being fed and nothing else mattered.

Clothing came off rapidly. They touched each other mindlessly, each taking turns pleasuring the other with their lips, their tongues, their hands, their souls. They had a secret communication just between them knowing exactly where, when and how to please each other. They made love to each other like it was a perfectly choreographed dance.

Their dance went on and on. Brooke had no idea if seconds or hours had passed. She was lost in him. Eventually their bodies melted together like they had before this past weekend and sung in unison as they came together in a soul-stopping crescendo -- that went on and on and on.

The spell was cast. The magic they created left them breathless and sedated. They somehow came to be under the covers of the big California King bed in the middle of Brooke's room. Their bodies still entangled, neither sure where one began and the other ended, hearts beating in time.

The last thing she remembered was hearing his little snore as she drifted off into bliss letting sleep claim her as well.