Chapter 14: The best laid plans...

"WHAT THE HELL?"

Brooke heard her sister yell and woke up with a jolt.

Sav was standing just inside the door to Brooke's bedroom holding a cup of freshly brewed coffee and staring in disbelief at the scene in front of her.

Brooke felt Adam jerk awake next to her. He pulled the covers up and seemed to sink under them.

"GET OUT" Brooke screamed.

"WHEN DID HE GET HERE? BROOKE, WHAT'S GOING ON?" Sav continued, obviously in shock.

"SAV GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW" Brooke said in anger. If she wouldn't have been completely naked under the blanket she was holding she would have gotten up and physically forced her out of the room.

Sav rolled her eyes as she turned to leave and slammed the door hard behind her for good measure.

Brooke fell back into the pillows and let out an exasperated sigh.

"Why is this always happening to us?" she looked over at Adam who was trying and failing to suppress a laugh. Brooke's face broke into a huge smile and they both started laughing.

After a good minute of their laughter filling the room, they began to calm.

Brooke grabbed her phone off the small table next to the bed.

"Shit... I'm going to be late." she said, getting out of bed.

"What time is your meeting?" Adam asked as he swung his legs around the side of the bed and began searching the room looking for his clothes.

"Um... in an hour and I'm not showered, dressed or anything. Oh my god... and you know the traffic is going to be brutal." she said quickly, as she hurried into the bathroom.

Brooke did her business and returned to the bedroom to find Adam fully dressed, looking for something.

"What are you looking for?" she asked, going towards the closet to get the outfit she picked out yesterday to wear today. Thank goodness she at least did that the day before.

"My keys" he said, dropping to his knees looking under the bed.

Brooke continued to rush around throwing on clothes and brushing her hair furiously.

"Found 'em" he exclaimed as he got back to his feet.

Brooke wasn't paying attention, her focus was on getting ready and out the door in the next 10 minutes.

She felt his hand on her arm, which slowed her frenzied pace.

"Hey..." he said softly, taking her into his arms, "Can you come to my place tonight around 8pm for dinner? Just me and you."

Brooke looked at him in surprise but also got excited. He was making plans with her for the future. Ok, it was just for this evening but he was saying he wanted to see her again and do a normal date kind-of-thing.

"You aren't busy with your family?" she questioned.

"I'll be with them this afternoon but then home tonight by myself. I want to talk. I want to share with you more about my life and what's happening right now. There's things I want to tell you..." he said cautiously.

Brooke was a little stunned but also felt a burst of joy.

"Yes, absolutely," she said happily.

He leaned down and kissed her quickly.

"Good luck today. I hope it goes the way you want it to." he said as he opened the door to leave.

"I'll walk you out..." she said, following him out the door, still only partially dressed.