Chapter Two

Mazy sat next to Phoenix as they sat in clunky metal desks in an airplane hanger. She ran a hand down the braids she had. Since the military changed their hair code she always wore two french braids starting at her hairline that went down. Something she always fidgeted with when uncomfortable.

"Attention on deck," Someone called and they all stood up quickly. As the Admiral began to talk.

"Good morning, Welcome to your specialty detachment. You may be seated." The Admiral spoke. Everyone sat down and Mazy picked at a loose thread on her flight suit.

"I'm Admiral Bates, Natic commander. You're all Top Gun graduates,elite, best of the best, that was yesterday. The enemies new fifth generation fighter is
It leveled the playing field." The Admiral went on explaining what would happen. The Admiral said something about man or women and Hangman turned looking at Phoenix and Mazy with a shit eating grin. Mazy and Phoenix both returned by casually giving him the finger pretending to rest their heads.
Mazy picked up her head when the Admiral began talking about the instructor.

"Your instructor is a Top Gun graduate with real world experience in any mission aspect you will be expected to master. His exploits are legendary, he's considered to be one of the finest pilots to come out of this program." Bates spoke. Everyone started turning heads. But curiosity killed the cat and Mazy turned around and saw her dad. Her dad. Walking up to Bates, she shot a fast glance to Rooster then her braids whipped back to the front.

"I give you captain Pete Mitchell. Call sign Maverick." Bates nodded and stepped off the podium letting Maverick take over. He locked eyes with Mazy then looked away fast. She had a stare that could kill.

"Good morning," He smiled looking around. Rooster looked at him, then away
a frown on his face. Mazy looked back down to where her leg was crossed over the other to avoid confrontation.
"The F-18 Natops everything that contains to know about your aircraft. I'm assuming you know the book inside and out." Mav began.

"Yep," " Damn straight," "For sure!" Was heard around the class of pilots. Then Maverick threw the book into the trash.

"So does your enemy. But what the enemy doesn't know is your limits. I just have to find them. Test them. Push beyond. Today we will start with what you only know. Show me what you're made of." He smiled looking around at the class. This wasn't what Mazy was aspecting when she came back here. She looked over at Rooster but he had a glare on Maverick.

Storm walked next to Rooster as they went out onto the airfield where the planes were. In flight suits and helmets in hands. Storm's helmet was dark blue with purple clouds and yellow lightning bolts on it.

"Rooster! Storm!" Mav called as he chased the pair. Storm rolled her eyes as he called for them.

"Bradley, Mazy." The pair kept walking.

"Lieutenants!" He called with more force.

They both turned around, "Yes sir?"

"Let's not do it like this," He shook his head.

"Are you going to wash me out?" Rooster raised an eyebrow.

"That'll be up to the both of you," He looked down at Mazy then back to Rooster.

"Am I dismissed?" Storm glared at him.

"Rooster is you are not," Mav nodded. Rooster nodded and turned back, going to his jet.

"Just tell me what I did wrong," Mav began.

"Look I'm not going to do this today da. Maverick." She quickly corrected herself, "I'm just here to fly the mission and go home."