Chapter Nine

The squadron found themselves in the same classroom they'd spent far too much time in.
Cyclone was briefing them on the new terms and conditions of the mission.
"And as of today there are new mission parameters. Time to target is now four minutes. You'll be entering the valley level at reduced speed. Not to exceed 420 knots." Cyclone explained.
Everyone looked at each other confused, they knew this wasn't viable, this wasn't possible at a longer time and delayed speed. It would be too dangerous now the bandits would for sure know they were there by then.
Mazy glanced up at Cyclone confusion written on her face.

"Sir won't be giving their planes time to intercept?" Mazy asked.

"Well, Lieutenant you have a fighting chance against enemy aircraft. What are the odds of surviving a head on collision with a mountain? You'll be attacking the target from a higher altitude level with the north wall." Cyclone continued. Mazy looked back at Hondo for confirmation that this was in fact how they were expecting them to fly. Hondo sighed and looked down redirecting his gaze from her.
"Gonna be a little harder to keep your laser on target but you'll avoid the high G climb out."

"We'll be sitting ducks for enemy missiles." Fanboy leaned over. The monitor beeped picking uk movement. She knew it right away, no way was The Maverick Mitchell going down without a fight on this. She sat forward as they say the jet come into view on the radar flying the mock course.

"Who the hell is that?" Cyclone asked confused.
The class all was attentive as soon as Mavericks voice came through the radios. Mazy had a small smirk on her face, she knew he could prove to them that it was possible at original expectations.

"Well I'm going anyway," Maverick came through the radio Mazy could hear the smile in his voice.

"Nice," Mazy nodded to herself and Phoenix agreed with her.

"Setting time to target two minutes fifteen seconds." Mav called.

"2:15. That's impossible," coyote shook his head.

"Final attack point. Maverick inbound." Mav was very much showing that this was possible and doable and everyone loved that.
Bradley and Mazy shared a knowing smile with each other than back to the radar. 40 seconds were left on the timer and everyone was biting nails and gripping seats to see if this was doable.
And Maverick in fact did it dropping his missile right on the target as well.

"Bullseye! Holy shit!" Coyote laughed the whole class standing up watching this all go down.

"Yes." Mazy smiled to herself.

"Damn," hangman smirked. Cyclone had a knowing smile on his face. Same old Maverick Mitchell from back in the 80's.

"They're making him team leader," Mazy smiled coming back into the kitchen where Bradley was making dinner for both.

"Mav? Seriously? After what he did today?" A smile on Bradley's face.

"Yeah, I mean the admiral is taking a big shot doing this but I think it'll be worth it." Mazy smiled setting her phone down and walking over grabbing stuff out of the fridge for potato's.

"I think it's the best decision that could be made though. We're all good but he really knows." Bradley nodded finishing up sautéing the vegetables.

"We're shopping out tomorrow." Mazy stated, both knew but they hadn't really talked about it yet.

"Everything is gonna be fine Mazy," Bradley took the vegetables off of the hot burner and walked over to Mazy.

"I updated my life insurance plan. Have you really thought about it?" Mazy looked up at Bradley as he wrapped his arms around her.

"It'll be fine, we're both gonna survive this." Bradley tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"I know but we have to be realistic we work a high risk job anything could go wrong. The carrier ship could sink." Mazy wanted to talk to him about this it was a serious concern between the both of them.

"You know everything in my name is left for you darlin'." He frowned and squeezed her waist gently.

"I love you," Mazy sighed and pulled away finishing getting things ready for their dinner.

"I love you too," Bradley watched his girl. After this they really needed to sit down and talk about the future and settling down and kids and marriage. All that fun stuff.

It was the day before they flew the mission. Well found out who is going to fly the mission. Mazy and Phoenix stood in the bathroom getting ready for bed on the ship. The best friends stood silently doing their skin care and brushing their teeth in silence.
Mazy stood there and looked at herself for a moment before breaking their silence, "I think I'm pregnant."

"What?" Phoenix whipped her head to look at her so fast she could've got whip lash. Why did Mazy think that? They were literally flying a life or death mission tomorrow.

"I missed my period. It's supposed to come yesterday and it didn't. We didn't use protection the last time we had sex. I know it's kind of early on but...is it bad if I want to be pregnant?" Mazy turned looking at her best friend.

"No, no Storm it's not bad at all. You and Rooster have been together for a long time and I know you both want kids. So maybe this is a good thing if you are? Maybe it's just an irregular cycle?" Phoenix tried to reason with the her.

"You're literally my best friend please don't tell anyone about this." Mazy sighed rubbing her forehead.

"I wouldn't dream of it. Look when we get back I'll come with you to get tested at the hospital or go buy you tests or anything. I'll be there every step of the way." Phoenix pulled her in for a hug it was a tight embrace Storm needed this.

"I know it's just last night we talked about life insurance and death benefits and stuff. I just know Rooster has issues with having a kid because of what happened to him. He doesn't want me to have to raise a kid who never knew him or vice versus." Storm sighed, "I'm just gonna put it in the back of my brain till we get back."

"Sounds like a good plan." Phoenix nodded and rubbed Mazy's back supportingly, "Like I said I'm here for you for anything I'll drive you to get an abortion or anything no matter your choice."

Mazy nodded with a smile, she loved Phoenix so much. She was the kind of person she needed outside of her relationship. Her whole childhood she never really had friends outside of Bradley and she was happy she had Phoenix now.