Chapter Ten

"It's been an honor flying with you. Each of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing more." Mav spoke looking over all of the pilots.

"Choose your two foxtrot teams." Cyclone sighed.

"Payback and Fanboy." Mav called. Mazy's heart skipped a beat she needed to fly this mission she was starting to break even ground again with her father. Her and Phoenix had worked hard for this.

"Phoenix and Storm." Mav spoke. Storm and Phoenix shared a somber glance at each other. They were close but ever since the day they were training and she had a damn near brush with death they knew they were locked in for life.

"And your wingman." Cyclone spoke, Storm turned and glanced at Rooster before turning back. He also needed to fly this, he had something to prove as well. But if he flew too this was a chance that someone of the three could lose someone or all of them.

"Rooster." Mav looked over and let his head fall back down. Mazy's heart was beating fast she was regretting wanting to fly, she wanted to but she didn't. She couldn't imagine a world without Rooster in it. Or her dad, although their relationship was rocky and bad he was still her dad.
Let alone if Mazy and Phoenix were shot down what Mav or Rooster would do? Surely they'd probably be at each others necks poking blame both ways.

"The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that's required. Dismissed." Warlock spoke.
Mazy jogged over to Rooster and he grabbed her hands.

"No matter what happens," Mazy began.

"Look if I die." Rooster interrupted.

"Don't say that it's not going to happen." Mazy squeezed his hands.

"Mazy i love you but we need to look at logistics." Rooster began to speak.

"No shhhh, Bradley look at me darling," Mazy brought her hands up to his face cradling his jaw, "Nothing is going to happen and we're gonna fly this mission and we're gonna go home. Yeah? I promise when we go home we can be done pushing off our wedding and do it right away."
Mazy rambled.

"I love you," Rooster grabbed her face gently and kissed her, Mazy kissed back pulling him closer to her.

"We gotta go," Phoenix rested her hand on Mazy's shoulder.

"Okay," Mazy nodded and stepped away as the three walked to go get their flight gear.

Everyone was briefed again on the mission after they were released to begin inspection and get ready.
Mazy crawled into the cockpit and looked over at Rooster who was in the fighter jet next to her.
They mouthed an i love you to each other as they were instructed to pull the canopy's down. She glanced at her dad as he glanced at her and she took a deep breathe this was it.

"Dagger one, up and easy on catapult one." Mav spoke into the radio.

"Dagger spare standing by." Hangman replied.

"Dagger four, up and ready." Payback replied.

"Dagger three up and ready," Phoenix spoke into the radio.

"Dagger two, up and ready." Rooster finalized it.

"Strike package ready. Standing by for launch decision. Now." The man came over the radio and this was finally it not tuning back now Mav took off. Mazy sat back making sure everything was right as they awaited sign to take off.

"Dagger three," they called. Mazy's heart lurched. Phoenix sent the plane down the runway then up.
Everyone was silent as they got instruction from the control station. Mazy looked around at the open ocean they were above.