Chapter Six

Mazy and Phoenix had been discharged. Payback had taken Phoenix back to her apartment to stay with her and keep an eye on her. They had canceled training for the day again.

Mazy chewed her lip nervously as they road in the Bronco home. She glanced at Rooster, she felt so unbelievably guilty about yesterday.

"I'm really sorry Bradley," Mazy spoke up.

"You have nothing to be sorry for darlin'" Bradley reached over and rested his hand on her leg.

"You should never feel that kind of pain and worry like you did yesterday." Mazy sniffed looking over at her beloved Bradley.

"Mazy," Bradley breathed out as they pulled into the driveway and he put the Bronco in park and looked at her. The dark haired girl kept her gaze forward and not to break it.

"I have a headache come on let's just go lay down." She sighed getting out and grabbing her bag stomping inside. Bradley sat there for a moment, he understood how she was feeling. She had scared the shit out of him yesterday when that happened but accidents happened.
Sometimes they were deadly. Sometimes they ended in death.
Bradley let out a huff of defeat and shut the garage before following Mazy inside.

Bradley kicked off his shoes and set his keys and sunglasses on the island table and be lined it for the bedroom.

Mazy had already changed into one of his old shirts and a pair of shorts. She was curled up in their big bed the pastel pink comforter nested around her pulled up to her neck. Her hair pulled into a messy bun and her gaze fixated on the wall ahead of her.
Coincidently enough the wall they filled with frames of them. Both of their naval academy graduation pictures, engagement pictures, one of them in a jet with the canopy open both with huge, stupid smiles on. Mazy back seated for Bradley for a little bit of time on a deployment once.

Bradley couldn't have crawled in the bed quicker than he did. He curled into her letting her be the little spoon.
They just laid there together until she was ready to talk. Something Bradley was quick to learn was how stubborn the Mitchell's were. Just like her dad Mazy would dig her heels into the ground and die on hill rather than tell anyone her emotions sometimes.

This time it was different, he could tell she wanted to talk but was trying to find her words.
He often couldn't find his words either leaving them both in comfortable silence rather than talking.
Bradley placed a delicate kiss on the bottom of her exposed neck his mustache ticking her.
"I'm sorry," Mazy rubbed her eyes.

"Hm?" Bradley hummed his eyebrows turning up.

"It was too close we shouldn't ever have it be like that. The way my Grandpa burned in leaving my dad, the accident with your dad, my moms cancer." Mazy just started spewing they both grew up surrounded by death it's all they ever knew. Sometimes Mazy just wished she'd never have gone out of her way to be with Bradley.
Don't get her wrong she absolutely loved him and would do anything for him.
But they were aviators and things happened, people died sometimes. So eventually one of them would burn in leaving the other.

"Mazy," Bradley repeated her name similar to the few times they had talked.

"One day I'm just gonna burn in and leave you alone with death once again." Mazy rambled.

"Mazy stop," Bradley rested a hand on her shoulder.

"Bradley you know it happens. Pilots lose wingman's and eventually." Bradley cut Mazy off by pressing his lips to hers. He didn't know what else to do. She kissed back instantly their soft lips locked in together.
Mazy sniffed as she felt hot tears stream down her face.
Bradley ran a hand through her hair as they pulled away. Mazy let out a sob her eyes closed the tears running down her pale skin. Bradley loved how in the California sun her freckles were far more visible.
Bradley held her face wiping her tears away.
"Mazy it's okay," Bradley gently cooed her.

"I'm sorry," she sniffed and opened her eyes up again staring into his big dark eyes.

"It's okay, come here." Bradley let her crawl into his lap as she curled into his chest.
Bradley wrapped his arms around her stroking her hair and holding her close with his other arm.