Chapter Eleven

In hopes of some miracle everyone stood in the command room, the backup daggers still waiting to see if they needed take off. Mazy chewed on her lip pacing the back of the room Phoenix watched her best friend. Mazy had cried all her tears and now was just hiccuping her heart felt like it sat at the bottom of her stomach. The same feeling she couldn't shake since her father went down, since her soon to be husband went down. Mazy didn't know how to react to anything she was feeling.

"Mazy please sit," Phoenix walked over and put her hand on her shoulder. Mazy closed her eyes for a moment and nodded following Phoenix to an open desk chair. Phoenix sat in the one opposite of her and rested her hands in Mazy's.

"They're going to come back," Phoenix sighed.

"How? How is that plausible neither of us saw parachutes both times they went down." Mazy chewed on her lip and looked Phoenix in the eyes. She couldn't rile herself up with false hope it wasn't going to happen. She was now left just like Bradley was left without a father that's how she felt.

She was left without her father or her lover.

Mazy sighed and pulled her hands from Phoenix's and ran them down her face, the cold metal of her ring band cold against her cheek. "I love you Phoenix." Mazy nodded and looked at her, "Please just promise me you'll be here for me no matter what's happening."

"Storm, I'm here for you no matter what. I swear. Always will be. Okay?" Phoenix looked at her. Both of their heads whipped as one of the control people spoke up, "Sir, we're receiving a signal from Roosters ESAT. But there seems to be malfunctions."

"What?" Mazy gasped and she got up running to the man.

"Have you lost him?" Warlock asked.

"No, sir. He's supersonic."

"He's airborne." Warlock stated.

"How? What?" Mazy looked to Phoenix.

"In What?" Cyclone looked at Warlock.

"Sir, overwatch reports an F-14 Tomcat is airborne and on course for our position." Comanchie spoke up.

"That crazy bastard," Phoenix clicked her tongue and held Mazy close.

"I'm gonna kill him," Mazy shook her head, "Both of them."

"Can't be. It can't be!" Warlock shook his head.

"Maverick." Cyclone spoke his eyes wide to everyone in the room in pure disbelief that this was happening.

"My dad is fucking crazy. I can't believe he's doing this." Mazy looked at Phoenix.

"He really is living up to all the stories I've heard from you and Rooster both." Phoenix agreed.

"Can you also promise me another thing?" Mazy looked at the other women. They'd known each other as long as they'd both been flying for.

"Yeah hun?" Phoenix gave her full attention to her.

"If they come back will you be my maid of honor in our wedding?" Mazy smiled at her with hope. Phoenix was only one of the few girls she knew, she'd been surrounded by male aviators her whole life.

"Of course. I was waiting for you to ask me." Phoenix giggled.

"I was waiting for a good time to ask you but this seems like a logical one?" Mazy shrugged with a smile. A familiar voice came through the controls.

"I'm going up. I'm taking off." Hangman came through the radio.

"Hangman, you're not authorized to fly." Comanchie came in.