Chapter 1: Persistence

Gusto ko ang ulan, maliban na lang kung may lakad ako. I frown while washing my emptied mug. Sa labas ay kasalukuyang umuulan. I haven't check the news last night for the forecast. I'm still hearing the loud music from the neighbouring apartment room na pilit nilalabanan ang malakas na tunog na galing sa ulan.

I fixed my blue checkered polo and arranged my art materials, together with my new art piece. Pagkatapos ay inabot ko ang backpack at payong bago tuluyang lumabas ng apartment room.

Lumiban ako sa klase ngayong umaga for the check-up. I can't ride my bicycle, I have no choice but to commute.

"Singkit! San punta mo? Dito ang daan pa university!" sigaw ng isang lalaki sa likod ko.

I didn't give a glance and just continue to walk. No one knows me here in the first place.

"Uy! Dito ang bus station!" the guy continued, shouted to overpower the sound of the rain.

Napalingon na ako at luminga. It's just the two of us under the rain, it means that he's talking to me.

"Sabay na tayo!" he shouted again.

"Not going," I replied, pero ngumanga lang siya. Hindi niya naintindihan ang sinabi ko.

I waved my hand, gesturing that I'm not going. As I fix my eyes on him, I know that he's from my university. I could recognize his uniform.

"Ganun ba? Sige, ingat ka!", I barely heard from him. At last, he got what I mean.

I watched his retreating form heading towards the station. Tumuloy lang ako ng hindi ko na siya maaninag.

I took the train. I'm kind of relieved, it's not that cloudy papunta sa ospital. Hindi magtatagal, titigil rin ang ulan.

It's rush hour, it's given that there's a lot of commuters but has been doubled because of the rain. Mabuti nga't may nakuha pa akong upuan. It's just 15 min. ride. I arrived at the hospital and waited for my turn to be called in the lobby.

I feel bored, slacking off my butt on the chair, that's why I looked around to see something quite entertaining.

"Nyaaah~", a girl from the front seat murmured. Nakikipaglaro ito sa sanggol na karga ng babaeng katabi niya.

Hindi nakakatawa ang ginagawa niya, what's the funny one was how she reacted ng makita na siya ng tuluyan ng ina ng bata. And now, I envy her, not for playing with the toddler but for being called for her turn.

At dahil wala na akong makitang nakakatuwa sa paligid, I decided to imagine things that I might be painted and there's handful that rushed in my head to the extent that I almost forgot that I was on the line.

"Pogi, ikaw na ang tinatawag." someone spoke near my ear at nagitla ako sa lalaki, I mean, I don't know how will I honor that guy with makeup. I instantly stood up at hindi na nilingon ang taong yun.

"You are positive with the cancer cells. I'm sorry to say but you inherited the disease..." sabi ng doctor sa akin.

So, that's it. I am dying, perhaps. However, unlike the other who is starting to plot what will be done during the remaining days, my resolve was to do the usual things that I'm doing.

Tumila na ang ulan, lumabas na ang haring araw na para bang inaabangan ang paglabas ko sa ospital.

I choose to walk my way back to my apartment to think some stuff about and now that I think more about the disease, I start to feel bothered for quite a little.

"Logically speaking, the less that I care, the more it won't bother me...", I said to myself. That's the spirit, Eve.

Bigla akong nagulat after faltering a bit. Nakarinig kasi ako ng malakas na tili mula sa likuran. I turn my back and saw a lady on a bicycle, almost hitting a cat that passes by. Mabuti at hindi nahagip ang pusa dahil kawawa naman.