Chapter 26: Shaded by Cruelty 1

Lahat ay nagsilabasan na, maliban sa ilang hindi ko pinaalis, kasama sina Professor Jed at Mr. Arellano. I seated on the swivel chair in front of them to start the second meeting.

"Ano pong pag-uusapan, Mr. Meneses?" tanong ng isang propesor na bumasag sa nabuong katahimikan.

"It's about Mr. Paolo Alarcon's incident. We'll talk about how he ended up deciding to take his own life. Gusto kong kumpirmahin mismo kung may kinalaman kayo rito. You only need to spill it, explain it to me..." seryosong pagpapaliwanag ko but after some minutes, no one answered. I took the folder and waved it at them.

"This folder contained the details about his cheating issue. Hindi pa napatutunayan 'yun, and this issue only came on me the day before the incident. Ang nangyareng 'to ay maaaring isang dahilan. He will lose his scholarship kung hindi mapapatunayan na hindi niya talaga iyun ginawa." I said and flip another page.

"This prior incident led him to fail his exam, lalo sa major units. Can't you see? For someone who maintained his high rank from the first year up until now, do you think he will do such a thing? Hindi naman yata yun makatotohanan..." then I look at them one by one.

"In this file stated that the department issued an expulsion without further investigation and without my consultations. Mr. Rodrigo, can you explain this?" I scratched my temple and waited for his explanations, which I didn't actually need.

"N-nakatago ng mabuti ang answer keys and test questionnaires kaya't paanong mapupunta sa kaniya yun? It's unless he took it. Isa pa, he's a former student assistant before in the department so I concluded that---" 

"...just because of that basis? I didn't know that aside from being a professor, you have a background as a detective too? Hindi ba't may surveillance camera sa office of department? I heard no one ask the monitoring personnels about it. Hindi ba't isang pagpapabaya 'to sa trabaho?" Mababakasan ang galit sa tono ng pananalita ko, hindi ko mapigilan ang sarili kahit subukan ko pa mang kumalma.

"...and one thing Mr. Rodrigo, you mark as failed some students just because they submitted their research paper the day after the deadline even with a valid reason given to you days before the deadline. Even tore it apart in front of Mr. Alarcon, one of those students that you failed." My teeth gritted after I read it. Hindi na siya nakakibo pa, maging ang ilan na nagsiyuko na lamang, knowing that they're aware of what happened.

"I won't do this just because of Mr. Alarcon's case. As I've said, hindi ko kailangan ng mga kagaya niyo sa paaralan ko. I've decided for the sake of the school's reputation in the future and for the students as well. Now, I will order to fire Mr. Rodrigo, additionally, you will be banned from applying to other universities. For the other accounting department faculty, you will work without earning a salary for a month as a punishment. Meeting adjourned..." I ordered and stood up.

"Hindi pwede! Mr. Meneses!" He exclaimed. The other professors showed frustrations and disappointments. They should've known better.

"Mr. Meneses! I need this job! I dedicated my years for this profession! Please pakibawi ang desisyon mo... don't take it from me..." pagmamakaawa niya nang makahabol siya sa akin.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and it was Mr. Arellano with Professor Jed behind him.

"Hindi ba't masyadong mabigat naman iyun iho?" Kalmadong tanong niya. I rest my hands inside my pants pocket and look aside.

"Mukhang nakalimutan mo rin ang alituntunin ko, Mr. Arellano... They already knew it but they didn't take it seriously." I coldly reply then faced Mr. Rodrigo na halos pagbagsakan ng langit at lupa. I walk closer to him and whispered something on his ear.