11.

During McGonagall's Transfiguration class, after we had a go at transforming animals into water goblets Hermione asked if our professor would be able to tell us about The Chamber of Secrets.

She contemplated it for a bit before deciding to tell us. "Well, you all know of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Rowena Ravenclaw, Godric Gryffindor, Salazar Slytherin, and Helga Hufflepuff," she began. "Now, three of the founders co-existed quite harmoniously. One did not. Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all magical families. In other words, purebloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school."

For a moment, Professor McGonogall paused.

"Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in the castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though, shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The heir alone would be able to open the Chamber and unleash the horror within, and by so doing purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."

"Muggle borns," I concluded sadly.

"Quite right Miss Malfoy," she offered me a faint smile, knowing my disdain for the Slytherin way wasn't a pretence. "Well, naturally, the school was searched many times. No such chamber has been found."

"Professor? What exactly does legend tell us lies within the chamber?" Hermione asked.

"The Chamber is said to be home to something that only the heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be the home...of a monster."

Now that classes had ended for the day, I went and found Fred and George so we could do some Quidditch practice. We had a good game between the three of us, and we completely lost track of time.

Exhausted, the boys and I agreed to take a break and we just sat on our brooms, level with the hoops and talked. I asked them if they had any theories about what could be in the Chamber of Secrets. Their answers soon become sillier than the first few we discussed.

***

Next morning, I tied my hair back and got changed into my Quidditch robes. Gaia's eyes widened when I told her that I was the seeker for Slytherin as she also assumed first years couldn't play.

I mounted my broom and kicked off the moment Lee Jordan had introduced us, flying off, over to the middle of the pitch where both teams were. Hooch set the balls free and the game began.

Harry and I were both keeping an eye out for the snitch, but once in a while I took note of the game and realised we were leading eighty to twenty

It didn't take long to realise the bludger had gone rouge too, as it kept targeting Harry. I tried a few times to get in its path in the hopes it might chase me, but it still kept going after Harry.

I decided to pull away from my chase, and go after the snitch; but I kept an eye on the bludger and Harry, but I quickly lost sight of them both as they went under the pitch. The bludger almost hit poor Colin Creevey who was taking pictures.

He kept leaning for the snitch, and just as he takes it the bludger slams into his arm, most definitely breaking it.

"Harry Potter has caught the snitch! Gryffindor wins!" I heard Lee exclaim through the cheering.

The bludger wasn't finished though as it kept coming down, trying to get Harry. I see Hermione take out her wand and yell, "finite incantatem!" And the bludger exploded before fluttering down around him in the grass.

Hagrid and Lockhart were the first of the professors to make it to Harry. Lockhart insisted that he could fix Harry's broken arm, but he made it much worse by removing all the bones he had in that arm, instead. Some of the Gryffindors and I helped take him to the hospital wing.

I knew there was something that Madam Pomfrey would be able to give him that would regrow his bones, but I wasn't sure about what it would actually taste like.

"Should've brought him straight to me. I can mend bones in a heartbeat, but growing them back..." Madam Pomfrey began.

"You will be able to, won't you?" Harry asked quickly.

"Oh I'll be able to, certainly. But it'll be painful. You're in for a rough night, Potter. Regrowing bones is a nasty business," Harry took a sip of the Skele-grow potion she gave him.

"Ugh!" He complains.

"Well, what do you expect? Pumpkin juice?"

I smiled and Harry reluctantly had another sip of it.

Over some time, Harry's broken arm had healed. Colin Creevey had been petrified just like Mrs Norris, still holding onto his camera.

***

I was coming back from Charms class, thinking about a Hufflepuff boy who had also been petrified along with Nearly Headless Nick. I was surprised that Dumbledore hadn't started sending students home yet, as the more students that were turning up petrified the more hysterical the rest of the students were getting.

Hermione claps her fingers around my arm and she all but yanks me into Moaning Myrtles bathroom. She was sat in the window softly crying to herself.

"I have a favour to ask you?" Hermione looks at me seriously.

"What is it?"

"I need to borrow three sets of Slytherin robes, a pair being yours, of course." She states.

"Why?"

"Polyjuice potion! Harry, Ron, and I need to talk to Draco. We're hoping he might know something about who the heir of Slytherin might be. We did think of asking you, but..." she shrugs.

"Draco is a better bet?" I offer. "It's okay! I'll get you what you need. Meet me here tonight, and I'm going to join you three," I tell her.

That night, sneaking up to the girls bathroom with three pairs of Slytherin robes was quite exhilarating. I'd stashed them in my bag so it wouldn't look suspicious if I ran into anyone, but it was still thrilling.

The trio went and changed after I handed out their robes and I stood back and watched in amusement as they were each handed some of the Polyjuice potion.

"It tastes like piss," I tell them and they all gape at me before drinking.

Hermione wouldn't come out of the stall she was in and insisted we go without her, so I have the boys, now Crabbe and Goyle, follow down to the dungeons. Draco finds us and we all head into the common room.

In a nutshell, Draco was useless. Apparently father told him a little bit about the Chamber of Secrets but wouldn't say who opened it. However, a mudblood, in Draco's words, died. When he said that he hoped if the chamber opens again, that it would be Granger; so, I smacked him.

I noticed Ron's hair was beginning to turn back to normal, and Harry's scar was reappearing.

"Well, er - I forgot my book in Transfiguration," I said, panicking. "Let's go boys!"

We didn't stop running until we made it back to the bathroom and seeing Hermione was a shock.

"Do you remember me telling you that the Polyjuice potion was only for human transformations? It was a cats hair I picked up off Millicent Bulstrode's robes. Look at my face," she turned around.

"Look at your tail!" I stepped on Ron's foot. He had to open his mouth.

I wouldn't leave Hermione's side when I took her to the Hospital Wing, other than go to the library or collect work from classes for Hermione and I. I could tell she was happy to have the company.

<•> Author's Note <•>

Updated 28/08/2022