12.

Not wanting to bump into anyone, I thought about going into Moaning Myrtle's bathroom again. This was where Harry had found a mysterious diary which had been thrown through Myrtle's head. I'm not sure exactly what the diary was, but it had given Harry some ideas. 

Hermione had gone to the library to see if she could figure out whatever it was that was petrifying students. Ultimately, because I was bored, I went and joined her.

Combing through book after book, we finally found something of note:

"Of the many fearsome beasts and monsters that roam our land, there is none more curious or more deadly than the Basilisk, ... the Basilisk has a murderous stare, ... spiders flee before the Basilisk..."

"Pipes!" Hermione and I turned to each other and said at the same time.

That's why we were having the plumbing problems, it had been travelling through the pipes. No one has  died because no one had looked directly at it.

As Hermione rounded a corner and that was when I heard her gasp, she'd taken a mirror out of the pocket of her robes earlier, which I thought was odd for her. I round the corner too to see if she was okay, but she was on the ground, unmoving and eyes fixed open.

Nearby there was an armoured statue holding a sword, so I take it and start on my way through the library, hoping if I could make it out, I'd be able to find and alert one of our professors. But just as I rounded another corning, it was then when the side of the blade of the sword I was holding, caught the reflection of a pair of yellow eyes.

I didn't have time to panic.

<•> Weeks later <•>

I could feel my limbs again, including the cool handle of the sword I was still clutching onto. I slowly sat up and found Theo and Draco sat at my bedside.

Just as Draco was about to say something, Hermione came running over, a huge smile on her face. "They did it, Ally! They killed the Basilisk. Ron and Harry found the paper crumpled in your hand, and they figured it out."

"Alright, all of you, head down to the Great Hall," Professor McGonagall came in, she smiled towards Hermione and I.

Draco wrapped an arm around my shoulder and Theo was walking at my other side as we headed to our table. I briefly caught site of Hermione who ran up to Harry and gave him a hug; then the awkward handshake she had with Ron. I smiled at them. It might not be the most practical of friendships, but if I couldn't be with them most of the time or as much as I'd like, they would certainly have each other. And it certainly makes things less complicated.

"Could I have your attention, please!" McGonagall asked, clinking her knife against her glass.

"Before we begin the feast, let us have a round of applause for Professor Sprout and Madam Pomfrey, whose mandrake juice has been so successfully administered to all who had been petrified," Dumbledore began and everyone erupted into applause. "Also, in light of the recent events, as a school treat, all exams have been cancelled!"

More applause.

The doors to the Great Hall opened and Hagrid walked in, "sorry I'm late. The owl that delivered my release papers got all lost and confused. Some ruddy bird called Errol!"

Soon after the feast began, everyone was much brighter since exams had been cancelled

Soon after the feast began, everyone was much brighter since exams had been cancelled. Hermione was impressed though, because she loved taking exams.

Some more writing had also appeared in my diary, this time saying, 'The Girl Who Waited.' I do the same and look at each of them, trying to figure out what they could mean.

Draco was in the common room to; in fact, a lot of us were after the feast. I was looking through the moving picture album, desperate to know who these people were, who they were to me, and why now.

Next year will be interesting, and hopefully, I could find more answers too.

<•> Author's Note <•>

Updated 28/08/2022