27.

Sat in the stands facing a great maze, the atmosphere of this particular task seemed more foreboding. It might have something to do with what father had said almost two weeks ago.

"Earlier today, professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now as Mr Diggory," - Dumbledore was cut off by the instantaneous cheering. "And Mr Potter tied for first place they will be the first to enter the maze. Followed by Mr Krum and Miss Delacour! I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any point should a contestant wish to withdraw from the task, he or she need only send up red sparks with their wand."

The band started to play as Harry and Cedric made their way into the maze. From where I was seated, I could see Mr Weasley and Mr Diggory.

***

It was torture having to sit and wait and wonder who would be the first to return. None of us had any idea what was going on within the maze, what they were seeing and experiencing; it was a total mystery.

That's when red sparks lit up the sky and minutes later Fleur came out crying. She was caked in dirt and looked dishevelled. Krum soon came out and looked shaken, his eyes unfocused.

That meant Harry and Cedric were still in there, searching for the cup. I didn't care who got to it, I just wanted the task to be done with.

I got my wish.

Harry and Cedric both came back, but something wasn't right. Cedric was flat on his back, unmoving; Harry was over his body sobbing. The cup was off to one side.

It didn't take long to figure out that Cedric was dead

It didn't take long to figure out that Cedric was dead. I ran down after Mr Diggory and Mr Weasley, and Mr Weasley held me back as I started to cry. He held me in his arms, hugging me and trying to calm me a little. His words were warm; he and Mrs Weasley saw me as another daughter.

Fred and George came down and took over so Mr Weasley could be there for Mr Diggory. They sat with me. Both knew that I didn't want to talk so they let me do as I needed.

Harry's strangled words echoed in my mind. "Voldemorts back! Cedric, he asked me to bring his body back. I couldn't leave him, not there!"

My anguish at losing the first boy I had ever loved, turned to fury. Father had known something was going to happen, he told me things were going to change, to enjoy the tournament while I still could. He hadn't changed at all. This was set to happen and we had all played into Voldemorts return.

But I knew then and there, as a memory or dream or both replayed in my head. I was going to be brave and I won't let Cedric's death be in vain.

"We've got you," Fred and George said at the same time, seeming to read my mind.

I hugged them both.

***

At breakfast Dumbledore was sat in his chair, until he decided to speak. "Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory as you all know, exceptionally hardworking, intricately fair-minded."

My eyes stared to well again. I'd decided to sit at the Gryffindor table. I was sat between Fred and George. George was behind me and I rested against him.

"And most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend! I think therefore you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort! The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this, but not to do so I think would be an insult to his memory. Now the pain we all feel at this terrible loss reminds me, reminds us, that while we may come from different places, and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain, you remember that. And we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end."

The twins scooped me up into a hug.

<•> Author's Note <•>

Updated 28/08/2022