24.

It was November and I was trying to help Cedric figure out what the egg meant.

I still hadn't told Hermione or the others about Amy and Rory actually being my parents; that I'm not Ally, I'm Melody Pond. The strain between Ron and Harry until the first task had ended still made things awkward, and now they were focused on helping Harry try to figure out the egg as well.

Only Cedric, due to our newfound closeness knows the whole truth. He gave me the same look I had when I tried wrapping my head around the whole thing. He also wanted to meet my parents; not the Malfoy's, which caught me off guard. We had shared a few kisses, but nothing more than that.

I told him that I would think about it. He was older, my parents were younger than most, I was not Ally, I was not a Malfoy, - there was a lot more; it was all confusing.

The next morning, I woke up early, my hair was now fully the exact same shade as Amy's; my eyes hers too. My hair was straighter and had layers which curled slightly. My robes were shorter than they have been, especially the skirt; I wasn't far off now from Amy's 5ft11in; I was probably level with her chin.

"Ally, wow!" Gaia stared at me, raking her eyes over my appearance.

I've debated whether or not to tell her about recent events, but for now I was happy to keep it a secret which only Cedric knew for now.

Classes went by in a blur, I only really paid attention during Potions because Snape kept asking me for answers which I already knew.

As classes came to end, I had another meet up with Cedric.

Somehow, it had gotten easier being around Draco. He couldn't understand why I had changed myself so much, but he seemed to get that this was who I always had been. The way he was treating me was much kinder too, so unlike him, but I knew deep down he cared for me in a way that neither of us could explain.

When I went to meet up with Cedric, I found him sat with Cho Chang, her airy voice grating on me. I walk over to them and Cho stared at me, at a loss for what to say or even if she should say anything.

"Are you ready Cedric?" I ask him.

He stands, places a hand on my hip while the other cups my face and he kisses me. "Let's go," he grins.

***

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since its inception," professor McGonagall was explaining to the Gryffindors. "On Christmas night we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the Yule Ball is first and foremost...a dance!"

The girls' side of the classroom eager chatter started, and the boys were less so eager.

"Silence! The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening, besmirching the name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons!"

As I thought glancing over at the twins stood in the window, up to their usually antics, were trying to say "babbling, bumbling band of baboons," as fast as they could

"Now, to dance is to let the body breathe. Inside every girl, a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight," she continued on. "Inside every boy, a lordly lion prepared to prance! Now, Miss Malfoy is here to help with our dancing. Is there anything you wish to say Miss Malfoy...Miss Malfoy?"

I gave her a sheepish look, all this confusion was going to get me into trouble and people to start asking questions. "Sorry, yes, thank you professor! As professor McGonagall has explained, it is a dance. I will be helping those who need more encouragement, but mostly Harry who along with the other champions, will be leading the first dance of the evening." I say. "Now Ronald, why don't you and professor McGonagall have the first dance to give us an example?!"

He looks at me fearfully, so I go up to him and grab a fistful of his jumper and pull him over to McGonagall. "Okay! Now, if you place your hand on her waist, -"

"Where?!"

"My waist

"My waist. Mr Weasley," McGongall added. "Now bend your arm. Mr Filch, if you please!"

He placed the needle on the record and soon some music began to play.

"One two three, one two three!" McGonagall counted the music and soon they began their waltz.

Later that day, I went and helped the Hufflepuffs, and Cedric and I, according to professor Sprout, were quite the pair. Then I briefly helped the Ravenclaws. I didn't have to do much with the Slytherins, as with most out backgrounds a lot of us could dance anyway.

After I went to help with Fleur and Viktor, I was exhausted and collapsed into bed. The only source of light came from a nearby candle, and I quickly fell into a dreamless sleep.

The one question that I did still, and stubbornly so, have, - I know The Doctor said that River lies - but why hadn't River Song said I was Amy and Rory's daughter from the moment I met them. Unless it had to be this way? It just didn't make sense, but then again, I was living in a world that didn't make sense.

<•> Author's Note <•>

Updated 28/08/2022