25.

During the free period that I had, I found Harry, Ron, and Hermione doing some work in the Great Hall. So, I went and joined them, I sat next to George and opposite the trio, taking out my potions journal to go over my essay.

"This is mad. At this rate, we'll be the only ones in our year without a date," Ron said, looking around. "Ally, I'm surprised you haven't said yes to anyone yet! You've had loads of guys asking you to the ball!"

"Ron, it isn't about the volume of people who ask me, it's about who wants to go with me for genuine reasons! Most of the guys who have asked if I'll go with them, I don't know who they are!"

At that moment, Snape walked by and slapped Ron over the head.

"Well, us and Neville," Ron grins. "Then again, he can take himself!"

"It might interest you to know that Neville's already got someone," Hermione whispered.

"Aww," Ron groaned. "Now I really am depressed!"

That's when Fred threw a note at Ron who opened it for us to all see:

'GET A MOVE ON OR ALL THE GOOD ONES WILL HAVE GONE!'

Ron tossed the paper back at him. "Who are you going with then?"

Fred rolled the piece of paper up and tossed it at Angelina Johnson who was much further down the table.

"What?" She looked at him, annoyed.

"Will you," he re-enacted dancing. "Go to the ball. With me?" He pointed at himself.

"The ball? Yeah, alright!" She whispered back. Fred then winked at Ron.

"Well, Hermione, you're a girl," Ron turned to her sat next to him

"Oh well spotted," she retorted.

"Come on. It's one thing for a bloke to show up alone. For a girl, it's just sad," Ron said and I hung my head. He was hopeless.

"I won't be going alone because believe or not, someone's already asked me!"

She stood up angrily and a snatched up her potions journal which she gave to Snape. Then came back to grab her things before saying, "and I said yes!"

***

At breakfast, Christmas Eve, a familiar owl swooped down and dropped a package which I manage to catch. Ron got a package too from their family owl, Errol.

I opened mine and inside it was an emerald green, silk dress. It was nice, but it wasn't me. There was a note inside.

'Hello darling,

I thought you would need a dress for the Yule Ball, so I sent this one for you to wear. You will write back to me, and your father and I are desperate to know who has asked you to the dance. I'm sure you've had lots of interest. Draco has told us that a lot of students are calling you 'Slytherin Princess!'

Mother.'

"Ally? Can I talk to you for a moment?" Cedric came over to Slytherin table.

"Sure! What do you need?" I ask.

"Well, I was hoping you will say yes to being my date for the Yule Ball?" He asks.

"Took you long enough!" I smirk at him. "Yes, I'd love to!"

The night of the Yule Ball, I was getting ready, and Gaia insisted we make a whole thing out of it which I didn't really want to do. But I could see how excited she was, and I didn't want to say no to her.

I dried my hair after washing it, using my wand and styled it too. It was quicker and saved time.

Cedric met me outside the dungeons and together we walked up to Great Hall where most students were. Harry and Ron were already there, too, stood nervously waiting for their dates, - the Patil twins.

We all watched when Hermione came down the steps; she looked beautiful in her layered purple-pink dress, and her styled hair.

The champions and their partners all had to line up so we could walk down to the dance floor, and music played us in. It was awkward as everyone stared; all I could see though was Draco. He had a bit of a smile on his face, but I could tell he wasn't pleased.

As the music cut of briefly, so we could prepare ourselves for the first dance, nerves kicked in. I remember what Amy and Rory told me about River's actual name, - or my actual name. Rory had insisted that it would be Melody Williams, but Amy had said that's a geography teacher whereas, "Melody Pond" sounded like a superhero. In this moment I felt far from a superhero.

"Melody, it's just you and me!" Cedric whispers and I take a deep breath, nodding at him as the music started again

As the night went on, Flitwick came out onto the stage to announce that the Weird Sisters were going to play. The excitement throughout the Great Hall had definitely turned up.

We danced for some time, losing ourselves in the music and the energy of everyone else around us. This moment nothing else seemed to matter, I could feel the necklace around my neck Amy had given me for my birthday and the pendant I also had on.

I joined Hermione when Cedric and Krum both went to get us drinks, and we found Harry, Ron and their dates sat at a table on their own. They all looked glum.

"Cedric and Viktor are going to get us drinks," Hermione said. "Would you care to join us?"

"No, we would not care to join you and Viktor," Ron sneered at Hermione.

"Ron!" I hiss at him. "What's got your wand in a knot this time!"

"He's a Durmstrang! You're fraternising with the enemy," he said pathetically, hands stuffed in his front pockets.

"The enemy?!" I scoff. "Who was it wanting his autograph?! Honestly Ronald, I thought you were better than this, but you know, you're acting just like Draco would. Petulant!"

"Besides, the whole point of the tournament is international magical cooperation, to make friends!" Hermione added, just as angry with him.

"Hm, I think he's got a bit more than friendship on his mind," Ron replied.

I shook my head at him and decided to walk away before I hit him. Cedric found me and asked what was wrong, but I promise him that it was nothing.

<•> Author's Note <•>

Updated 28/08/2022