Four

Sawyer

   Elain: can you do me a favour?

  I look down at my phone confused, then I look over my shoulder at the clock hanging behind the bar. It reads eleven fifty eight pm. We never text so I have a strange feeling. She wouldn't ask my this late if it wasn't important.

Me: what's up?

  I watch the three dots appear and disappear over and over. I end up pocketing my phone because I don't have time to stare at it all night waiting for her reply. I close out my last table and help Alice with the side duties. "You sure you don't need me to close?" She dumps ice into her well and hands me the bin. "For the second time Sawyer, I'm good." She smiles at me and goes to her last tables to do last calls. I head into the kitchen and to my office for my keys and jacket. My phone goes off in my pocket and I'm going to ignore it when I remember Elain. I lean against my desk and unlock my phone.  I let out a sigh when I see the novel she sent me.

  Elain: so I know we aren't close or anything, but I trust you and I need someone right now. Bryan is at work and I'm alone without a car and I really need you to go to the pharmacy for me. And please, please do not tell a soul. I need a pregnancy test. I want to do it at your place so Bryan doesn't see the boxes in the garbage. It's okay if it's too werid I'm just scared. We aren't ready to be parents yet.

  I blow out a breath. That was a lot to take in. I cant imagine my brother being a father. He's too conceded to love anything that much. I'm not so sure he even loves Elain more then himself  I think he proposed because it was the right thing to do, because it made my dad happy. He did make it very clear he did not want any kids for a  long time, or ever. So this is probably really hard on her. Fuck why do I need to be dragged into this. I type my reply and head to my truck. I speed off to my brothers not wanting to deal with this any longer then I have too. I pull up fifteen minutes later. Elain is already waiting outside. She gets in and gives me a weak  smile. "Thank you, I didn't know who else to ask." My mind automatically goes to her sister, they're close and she definitely wouldn't tell Bryan. I don't think she likes him.

  Join the club Maggie. She makes me take her to the pharmacy away from their house incase the lady that usually serves her and Bryan is working. She trying to make conversation, but I'm tired and cranky so I just grunt every time she says something. "Thank you for doing this." I nod. We pull up and I put the car in park. She undos her seatbelt and opens the door. She stops when she notices I haven't moved. "Your not coming in?" I wasn't planning to. "Your just grabbing a test, I'll wait." She looks at the store then back at me. "Could you please come in with me." I'm way to tired for this. I pinch the bridge of my nose and sign while getting out.

"I'm going to grab some snacks while you look for the, the thing." She nods and walks in the opposite direction as me. I browse the candy aisle looking for peach rings and end up grabbing way more then I need. "I got more then one just to be safe." Elain comes into the aisle holding up two boxes. "Let's get this over with then." We pay and leave the store and I gun it to my house. "I'm going to my room to change, I'll be down in a minute." She thanks me again, then closes herself in the bathroom.

I walk into my own bathroom after changing into drawstring pants and removing my shirt. I splash my face with water not prepared to hear what the results are. I rest my hands on the edge of the counter and bow my head. And then I feel hands brush my abs and I flinch. She runs her hands up the length of my stomach and I turn. Pressing myself against the sink to trying to create some distance. "What are you doing?" I bark. When I look down at her I notice she has tears in her eyes. "You're pregnant." I whisper. She nods and lets out a sob.

I take her in my arms and hold her to my chest. Her tears wet my bare skin. I give her a minute to cry before breaking the embrace. "What are you going to do?" She shakes her head a bunch of times. "I don't know. He's going to be so mad." She buries her head in her hands and sobs. I pull her into me again feeling slightly uncomfortable because I'm not wearing a shirt and my brother doesn't know she's here. I just don't like seeing people upset. "And you know the worst part?" She cries harder.

I shake my head, even though she didn't see it she answers. "When the second line showed up I got excited. I want this baby." I squeeze my eyes shut. Fuck. It's sad when she wants to be happy about this and she can't because of her fucking fiancé, my fucking brother. "If that's what you want, than you will have this baby, screw my brother." She pulls away and looks up at me. "You think I can do it on my own?" I cross my arms over my chest. "Of course, and besides you won't be alone. There is no way in hell my mother is going to not be involved in her grandchild's life, and there no way I won't be there for my niece or nephew." She wipes under her eyes and smiles. Then her gaze falls to my lips. I try to back up again but my thighs are already pressed against the vanity. She leans in and I gently place my arms on her shoulders. "Don't."

She backs up and looks away. "Im sorry." She walks out of the bathroom and hurries out of my room. "Elain!" she runs down the stairs and grabs her purses from the coffee table. "Elain!" Her hand stops on the doorknob. "I shouldn't have asked you to do this for me, and I especially shouldn't have do that. That was a mistake." I agree. "Your emotional I don't blame you. But yes it was a mistake." She opens the door and steps out. "I'll drive you home." I call after her grabbing my jacket off the hook. She keeps her back to me and shakes her head. "No I rather get a taxi right now." She closes the door and I sit on the stairs, running my hands through my hair.

Fuck.