Seven

January

Today is the day I sit down with Sawyers family and eat brunch. I've been so nervous since I went to bed last night. I didn't even go see him and now I'm regretting. I thought about canceling five times but opted not too because life's too short not to take risk. I would know. I haven't had a family meal in so long I don't know what to expect. His mother was so welcoming so I'm hoping the rest of his family is. I don't even know how many people he has in his family. For all I know it could just be him and his mom, but after seeing him with a small group of people the other night I don't think that's it. He's supposed to pick me up at eleven and I'm just getting home now from a errand and a quick walk with Linda. So I better hustle if I want to be ready on time.

My neighbours haven't complained about her so I'm hoping the barking phase is over. I undo her leash and give her a treat before heading into my room. She trails behind me and hops up on my bed. "What does one wear to a brunch full of strangers." I literally just learned Sawyers name. Is this weird? Oh well it's happening. I shift through finding an off white cable knit sweater and black skirt. I put on pantyhose before putting on the skirt. I pair it with a cute pair of Steve Madden boots I just bought. I do some light makeup, but add a red lip and leave my hair in its natural wavy state. I look at the clock and it read ten fifty seven. I turn off all the lights and head into the kitchen. I grab and glass of water and an ibuprofen. My head has been killing me all morning. I check Linda's bowls before I stand by the window and wait.

I bounce on my heels, getting more nervous now that the time is approaching. I glance out the window what I hear the crunch of his tires but I wait a second before leaving. Just so he doesn't know I was waiting by the door. He is halfway to the door when I open it. "Hi." He looks handsome in a pair of well wore jeans that hug his muscular thighs, and a oversized flannel jacket. "Hey." He gives me a closed mouth smile. "Are you ready?" No. "Yup!" He opens the door for me and I have to climb into his truck. He waits until all my limbs are safely inside before he closes the door and he gets in himself. "How many people will be there?" I blurt out when he gets in. "Three, my mom, dad, and brothers fiancé. My brother will show up a little later I'm sure." He doesn't look too happy when he says the last part. I sense tension between them.

"Is your dad okay with me coming?" His grip tightens ever so slightly on the wheel. "My mom told him." Okay that doesn't exactly answer my question, but I'll take it as a yes considering I'm still invited. "Do you have any siblings?" He asks. I glance out the window, it's always hard talking about my family. "Yes, I had two." He shifts in his seat. "I'm sorry." I don't refuse to talk about it, it obviously sucks to talk about, but I don't care to share. It's just I've never had anyone to talk too. "It's fine, it was a long time ago." He nods and I break the dull conversation by turning on the radio. Edge of darkness by Greta Van Fleet fills the car and I bob my head to the beat. So he has good taste in music, good sign. The drive is slightly farther then I expected, his parents live in the rich part of Richmond. We drive past the Moose-creek estates sign and I'm in Awe.

Every house in here can hold four of mine. "Whoa." My breath fogs the glass as I stare out at all the mansions. "Do you live down here too?" He chuckles. "No, I own a bar." Oh right. He pulls into a big driveway that loops around a fountain. How extra. A big White House is stationed at the end. My eyes widen. How do people actually live here. This kind of stuff is only ever in the movies. Sawyer gets out and comes to my door. He opens it and holds his hand out for me to take. Such a gentleman. The front door opens and his mom stands in the threshold with a big smile on her face. "January, welcome." Me and Sawyer walk up the steps side by side and his mom pulls me in for a hug. "Thanks for having me, your house is gorgeous." She places a hand to her chest and looks around like it's the first time she's seeing it. "You're too kind." We take our coats off and Sawyer walks them to a closet by the door.

  "Do you need any help ms?" I pause realizing I didn't ask for their names, great. "Please call me Mary." I nod, I need to remember to ask Sawyer what their last name is. "I actually could use you in the kitchen. You can help me with the fruit salad." Mary is an amazing hostess. All her food looks Pinterest worthy. Sawyer is setting the table when a woman walks in. I'm assuming she is his brothers fiancé. She's beautiful, with her dark chestnut hair and green eyes. She has full lips and curves for days. I on the other hand am not wearing a bra right now and no one would be able to tell. She smiles at him and he nods. "Mom, it smells delicious in here." She freezes when she sees me and not Mary.

  "You are not mom." I dry my hands on a towel and walk around the island. "Uh no I'm not, I'm January." She gives me a questioning gaze before taking me hand. "I'm Elain." She looks around the kitchen like she's trying to piece together why I'm here and who brought me. Thank God Sawyer walks in because this was getting awkward. "Sawyer, who's this?" She could've asked me but that's alright. "Sno- January. She's a friend." He opens the fridge and takes out orange juice and a jug of water. "Who's friend." Her tone is snippy, like she isn't happy that I'm mostly am his friend. His eyes narrow at her and be cross his arms over his chest. The motion causing his muscles to stretch the thin fabric on the Henley he was hiding under his jacket.

"Mine." His tone sounds final. He takes the drinks to the table and I grab the salad. She takes it from me. "I got it." I'm confused, is she his brothers fiancé. I pick up the hash browns and toast basket instead. Mary comes back from wherever she ran off too and we all meet in the dining room. An older man who I'm assuming is Sawyers father takes his seat at the head of the table. Mary sits across with Sawyer to her left and me beside him. "Hello I'm January." I reach my hand out to greet his father. He takes it, shaking it once before dropping it. I place my hand in my lap and look away embarrassed. Sawyer fists that are resting on the table clench and he looks like he wants to take his fork and stab his father with it. "Dale." Mary warns. Elian smirks. I don't think I like her, but I'll give her benefit of the doubt she might be having an off day.

  I glance over at Dale again though, he looks vaguely familiar to me, but I can't place him. He turns to me. "Sorry if I came off as rude, I'm just tired." Sawyer relaxes next to me and we start dishing out food. Elian fills the plate next to her sit and brings to to the kitchen, most likely to keep it warm for her fiancé. "Do you want some orange juice?" He holds up the jug and I nod. "I'd prefer a Shirley temple, but this is fine." I nudge him with my elbow and he smirks. "Maybe later." Excitement blooms in my chest. He wants to see me later. "So January what do you do?" I turn to face Dale. I hate being asked this question. People always assume things when I tell them the answer. "I was actually a veterinarian for a little while, but I inherited some money and invested it. So now I don't have to work." He looks over to Sawyer then back to me.

  "So you don't work?" I'm pretty sure I just made  myself clear but okay. "No." He shakes his head disapprovingly. I'm not loaded but I have enough to survive off of, it's not a long turn plan anyways. "She just said she invests her money and is in a stable position not to work, what more do you want." Sawyer barks out. Okay so the relationship here is rocky. "I Just appreciate people who actually do hard work, who get there hands dirty everyday to earn the roof over there head." The glare Sawyer is shooting his father could kill. "Dale that's enough." Mary raises her voice. I look down at my lap and Sawyer grabs my hand. "I'm sorry. We should go." I look at him and shake my head. "No, it's okay. Let's just finish eating." He is about to protest but I pick my fork back up and take a bite.

  He reluctantly sits back against his chair and does the same. Moments of no talking a eating pass before the door opens and closes. Elian stands and heads in the kitchen, probably to retrieve the plate she places in there. I look to the entry way when a man walks. He is tall like Sawyer, and has lighter hair. He looks identical to their father, where as Sawyer favours his mother. With her soft eyes and full lips. I quickly look away when I realize I know him. He leans down and kisses his mother head and rounds the table to pat his dads shoulder. The smile that forms on Dales face when he enters the room, annoys me. He doesn't say a word to Sawyer. He takes his seat and Elian places the warm food in front of him. She kisses his cheek. And he doesn't so much as say thank you or a acknowledge that she is there. He looks like a keeper.

  He seems to notice the extra person, well me sitting across from him because he looks up. His eyes narrow and my hand starts to shake so I place it under the table. "Bryan this is January, Sawyers friend." My heart races to see if he'll say we know each other. But instead he reaches across the table. "Nice to meet you."