Chapter III: New Year's Eve

The better you expect the more disappointment you get in return.

The next day after college, I went to the nearby post office so that I could parcel that trophy to Suhani. It took a bit of time but at last, everything was done perfectly and I returned home in the evening. The delivery of that parcel was really quick and so I had to face the consequences that day only. At 9:00 clock Afya called me

"Hey, did you gifted my trophy to Suhani?"

"Yes! but how did you know that?.

I was puzzled at that moment

"She called me now and was asking me about the trophy. By the way, you took the perfect decision brother." Afya replied.

"Wait but where did she get your number?"

"Maybe from the management team and she had even taken your number from me, she was quite angry."

She told this and disconnected her phone.

I was quite speechless because now I knew that the consequences gonna be very worse. I switched off my phone and went to sleep because that was only the best way to get rid of Suhani's call.

After a few days, the month of December was going to end and so there was the vibe of the new year everywhere.

A day before the new year I planned to celebrate the new year in any Pub. Not because I love clubbing or drinking booze but because I felt to enjoy that day as I get happy days quite less in my life. I asked Nasim for that and he was ready for it. We went to one of the famous pubs in Delhi Just before a few min of the new year countdown. The decoration was astonishing as it was filled with blinking lights, shining walls, glittering floor and even the counters were organised differently. Just after a few minutes, the new year countdown started and that refuelled every one with energy.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0,Happy New Year

I started dancing with the crowd and popping champagne in the air. The celebration was going too smoothly but it was interrupted by the call of Aunty (Nasim's mother). Nasim informed me that he needs to go home as Afya is not at home and mom wants him to be there. He even insisted me to enjoy the night because there was nothing to worry about. He was sure that Afya must have gone to a party with her friends. His theory was right but I had no intention to enjoy that night alone dancing with an unknown crowd. I decided to come with him to his home. I also tried to contact Afya but her phone was switched off. We came to the parking lot and sat in our car but when we just reached the exit of the parking lot we saw something which was unexpected. Two boys were trying to pick up a girl into their van. As everyone was busy celebrating the new year and even the surrounding was so numb that two guys got the perfect time to pursue their ravishing idea.

The scenario made my blood boiled. I told Nasim that we should do something. Nasim was a muscular guy and so without much thinking of consequences, he got down from the car. Both guys saw us and they started to push that girl hard inside the van with all of their efforts but before they could flee Nasim ran and caught one of them meanwhile I removed the key of the van. This made both of them scared, they released themself with a hard attempt and started to run towards the road. Nasim was not in a mood to pardon them and so he started to chase them. I didn't run behind them because the girl was looking frightened. Her clothes were a little torned and her eyes were full of tears. I opened my outer shirt and gave her to cover herself. She took the shirt, wiped her tears made a speech in a quavering voice saying " thank you". I responded to her saying that it was my duty and she should calm down as she was not harmed by them. She started to take some long breath, went towards the van and picked a squeezed medicine box from the floor beside the van. It was actually an inhaler which she opened and pumped twice.

Within that time Nasim returned saying that he was unable to catch them. He also told me that we should move because her mother is making repetitive calls and nights in Delhi is not safe. Before leaving I asked the girl that should we leave her to her house, flat or anywhere she wanna go.

She told me that she is with her friend and explained how that incident took place.

" I was enjoying the new year party with my best friend but maybe due to crowding and smoky wave, my lungs started to show an allergic response. I have asthma so I always keep an inhaler with me but today I forgot to put the inhaler in my purse. I told my friend that I will be back after purchasing the medicine from any nearby shop. I came out from there, purchased the medicine but when I was returning that both boys took the advantage of dark and new year party. They blocked my mouth and took me here."

She told this and made a call to her friend, telling her to come into the parking lot.

I also made a goodbye telling her to take care of herself, she also waved her hand and asked

"Won't you say your name"

"Oh sorry, this is Adil and this is Nasim and you"

"I am Tiya."

I started my car and the moment I pressed the accelerator I saw that her best friend was coming from behind and she was non-other than Suhani yes suhani the same girl I met on December night. She looked at me confusingly but the moment she could think something we were out of her vision.

Nasim was trying to contact Afya constantly and after a few tryings she finally picked up his call

"Hey, where are you and why aren't you picking the call"

Nasim asked in an angry tone

"Bro I am in the house and you come soon coz Mom gonna kill me"

Afya replied.

I looked at Nasim and he said that everything is alright.

Within a few minutes, we reached his house and could listen to the unpleasant scoldings of Aunty. Nasim was even angry for Afya's behaviour because the same incident could even happened with her. I couldn't think what should I do so I made aunty a little calm and told Nasim to pursue all that anger tomorrow. I came back to my house at 4:00 am and went directly to my bad as I was so tired.

The next day, I couldn't go to college because I spend half of the day sleeping and the other half of the day thinking about the thing that happened which I never expected.

In the late evening, I got a call from an unknown number and I picked it up

"Hey am I talking to Adil"

A sweet girl sound echoed in my ear.

"Yes how can I help you"

"Hey, I am Suhani I am really sorry for all the rough words I have used for you. I can't even imagine what would happen to Tiya if you were not there and even Thanks for that trophy. I thought to return you but now I will keep it as a keepsake."

"Thanks for your sweet words but it was just my duty and I would do the same even for my enemy"

I replied to her.

Before disconnecting, she asked me if I was free for Sunday because she wanted to have dinner with me and start a new friendship.

I replied yes but in a passive way.

It was one of the best days of my life. I never thought that Suhani could be my friend any day but that incident made a delicate place of mine in her heart and I was so happy for it.