Chapter 01

Salem 1693

Elizabeth Harkness was a proud woman. Even in the age she was living in, she was respected by her peers in both her worlds. The people in their village trusted her with the upbringing of the young ladies to teach them how to be good girls. In truth, she was a witch at the head of a powerful coven. Her girls were looking up to her for guidance, for her teaching in more ways than one. Despite her good reputation, times were difficult for the magical beings and they had to hide their true nature. Women were still burnt at the stake for simply being smart, pretty or in the way of a man's want. Of course, the coven could defend itself. They might not die during the battle but being found out would make life a lot harder for themselves and the people around them. It was her duty to keep the woman under her care as safe as could be.

Agatha had been showing a lot of power from the very beginning, more than any other witch Elizabeth had had under her wings before. Her own daughter would come to become the most high-powered being known so far. The girl would surpass her own mother very soon. Within the puritan community, women didn't have much say. Younger, Elizabeth herself didn't have much of a future. She had to marry a man she barely knew, much less loved and had to have children and take care of the household. Her husband had been quite older than her but that wasn't unheard of, even now. He thankfully had died rapidly. Elizabeth had helped a little but nobody had been the wiser. At least good things came out of all that. Her covent and reputation.

Men were talking about the devil, how to lead a good life as if they knew all the secrets of the universe. They didn't know anything about real magic. They were just scared of what they didn't know. There was nothing to be afraid of when taught properly. The danger laid in the lack of control and not understanding fully one's capacities. It had taken her quite some time to master her own powers until she became a powerful witch. Under the disguise of teaching girls anything they would need in their future household, Elizabeth had brought them together in a convent and was showing them all they needed to know about magic.

Because she was Elizabeth's daughter and because of her level of latent power, Agatha had more lessons than any other girl. She should hold to the high standards her mother had for her. Runes, spells and artifacts were taught very thoroughly to all her students but especially to her. Although Agatha's strength was very gratifying for her mother, Elizabeth could not deny she had become a little scared of the young girl. One day, sooner rather than later, Agatha would want her own place in the world. At that moment, she wouldn't want to be controlled anymore. By anyone and especially not by her mother.

Elizabeth could already see some of her girls being more attracted by the sheer power Agatha would wield rather than to the wisdom of their high priestess. She couldn't let that happen. The integrity of her coven was in danger as well as her position. Her daughter wasn't interested in keeping the balance of things. The younger ones could be so selfish at times. Elizabeth had to be strict with her for everybody's good. Being related had nothing to do with anything. Magic was not something for fun. She had responsibilities.

The high priestess had knowledge far beyond what those young girls could even fathom. They thought, especially Agatha, that they knew how the whole world worked. They only knew about their little village. One day, Elizabeth would show to some of them the universe and all its wonders. If they proved themselves worthy of that knowledge. In the meantime, she would be teaching Agatha restraint, order and above all to obey her mother in everything.

For a while, her teaching worked well. Agatha was the nicest witch, attached to her mother, a little bit lost with her own abilities. She was smart and eager to learn. Spells came easy to her. The girl always wanted to learn more. As they said, curiosity killed the car. Agatha's powers kept growing stronger just as her need to understand what was happening to her, why she was different from the other witch.