Chapter 20

Terrorists were attacking America. The Ten Rings wanted to teach them a lesson apparently. Tony didn't want to intervene. Iron Man had been built because of them and the genius had destroyed as much weapon cache as he could. Everything that Stane had sold under the table without Tony's knowledge. To say he didn't want revenge would be a lie and that was why he wanted to stay out of it. When feelings were too high, his reactions could be too strong. Fighting aliens was right up his alley but he shouldn't just interfere in every single problem on the planet, especially if officials had not asked for his help. Agencies specialised in the matter were working on it and they were better equipped for that.

But things were never going his way. Ever. He had no idea of what was really happening but Happy had been caught in the middle of everything and was now lying in a hospital bed. That great man looked so small, so fragile there. A massive explosion had happened at the chinese theatre and Happy had been there.

"Can you help him?" Tony asked Agatha.

Tony didn't want to use his friend just for powers. He liked Agatha for herself but he couldn't risk Happy's life. Since he had become Iron Man, Tony hadn't been in need of a bodyguard all that much so he had given Happy a promotion, a real good one. Stark Industries definitely needed better security considering Shield seemed to get in and out as they pleased. Agatha went to work immediately, a purple mist pooling from her hands. Tendrils of her magic went to the stilled body in the white medical bed.

"He will be ok Tony."Rhodey was trying to comfort him.

"I should have known something was happening. What was he even doing there?"

"We will find out what happened." Just stated Loki as a fact.

Tony was so thankful to have his family around him. Did Happy realise that they were his family as well? When he would wake up, because he would, Tony believed in Agatha wholeheartedly, they would all make sure that Happy knew that they were here for him. A Downton Abbey marathon was what they needed. Happy was a fan of that show. It had never really attracted Tony to be fair but he would make an effort for his friend. If Happy liked it so much, surely the show must have been really good. Tony was sure that Loki would enjoy it at the very least. The English accent and lifestyle were perfect for the god. They could totally make a night out of it.

The genius was still lost in his thoughts when Agatha turned around telling him that Happy should wake up any minute. Not everything was perfect but his life wasn't in danger anymore. Human bodies were fragile and healing too much too quickly could potentially be dangerous too. Agatha wouldn't push her patients too far. It would need time and perhaps another magic cession just to be on the safe side. They all waited for Happy to come around out of the need to know that the man was really alright but also to learn what had happened exactly. The people responsible needed to be found quickly now and they would pay for all that.

"Hey Boss..."

Happy's voice was small and raspy but, at least, he was awake. He didn't seem to be in too much pain and Tony rushed to fill a cup of water with a straw and bring it back to his friend. The bodyguard drank heavily. A flash of memory came to the genius' mind. The first drop of water he had after wandering in the desert for god how long. He quickly pushed it away. Everything wasn't about him all the time and especially not today.

Happy slowly told them about Pepper being back in town even though she should have been in Cleveland. The bodyguard was suspicious, perhaps too much but it was part of her job. The woman was not really discreet so he had followed her just to be sure. I was a hunch, a gut feeling after years of working that job. Shield might have been trying to get into Stark Industries once more. Happy would not let that happen ever again. This time, Pepper wasn't meddling with the shadow agency but, in a way, she was still a problem.