Chapter 60

Idunn was keeping an even closer eye on her tree than usual. Apples were slowly maturing, lazily dangling from the branches and basking in the Midgardian sun. She was curious to see how different they would be from all those years on Asgard. The flowers had been a remarkable sight, unlike anything she had ever witnessed in all her years of tending the tree. Of course, the goddess anticipated that her relocation to Midgard would bring about some changes. Each realm possessed its own unique magic. It had been a gamble from the very start.

The apples looked the same as they had in the past, with the same golden skin, but that didn't mean the properties would be the same. Idunn wanted more than anything for their apples to have the same properties in this new realm as they had before. Above all, she hoped that they would still have the power to give youth, strength, and immortality to those who ate them. Her newly found family included too many vulnerable Midgardians, and she was not willing to lose any of them, ever.

It was possibly a difficult question to ask. For Midgardians, the idea of eternal life was an elusive dream. They were not meant to have eternal life, but they strived to make the most of every moment. Asgard was a land of warriors, who spent their time working on their skills as warriors, but it lacked the refinement and creativity found in other realms. The Aesirs took what they wanted from the people under their so-called protection, including art, fashion and knowledge.

Odin was a master of manipulating events to fit his narrative. History be damned. Anything that would portray him or his people in a negative way was promptly erased and replaced in memories. Unless it concerned Loki.

Idunn would respect whatever the Midgardians ultimately decided they wanted, regardless of the outcome. She would remain a supportive presence for Loki in any case. Bruce would already have a longer lifespan than the average human due to his green alter ego. It would still feel short compared to Loki's lifespan. Given the trickster's history of being shunned and betrayed, losing one he was so close to would be more than difficult. Idunn could only hold onto hope, praying to the Norns that they would all accept the gift she intended to present to them all in due course.

"Tell me, old friend," Idunn said, as she rested her forehead on the bark of her tree. "Will your fruit possess the same properties as before?

While the tree could not speak to her outright, Idunn and the tree had developed a subtle form of communication over the years. It was a silent language that required attention to detail and patience to discern. Most people would not notice it really. Idunn could notice the shimmering of the tree's leaves, whether or not there was any wind or light.

Things were a little different now. Each day was different. The weather was unpredictable, sometimes changing several times in a single day. Idunn and the ancient tree would need to find a new way to communicate. In the meantime, the goddess needed to be more observant than ever, before being able to decipher the three's subtle signals.

The sound of a loud thud echoed through the air as an apple fell from the tree. Idunn sensed that the tree was trying to convey a message to her to give it a shot. As the goddess of youth, Idunn didn't need the fruit to be immortal. Much to the chagrin of the other so-called gods, she was the only one who had that naturally. Despite this, her body could still sense the effects of the apple and the changes it would do to whoever consumed it. She picked up the apple, turning it around in her hands. It looked no different than before.

Idunn walked back toward her house slowly, taking in the serene surroundings of the forest and the breathtaking view it offered. This was something she would never tire of. It brought a sense of peace like any other. Tony, Hope, and the other Midgardians would one day take the Asgardians around the world, to show them the beauty of it. Locations that were breathtaking despite being as different as day and night. The prospect was exhilarating to Idunn. She couldn't wait. They would have to wait though. Thanos was on his way. This was the time to prepare. They would enjoy themselves after.