Chapter 72

In the initial days, Fenris would frequently wake up sandwiched between Loki and Bruce. The nights were haunted by plenty of nightmares that seemed to never go away. He loved his new family a lot. Still, there was a hole inside him. Loki, Bruce and the others were all very nice to him, but he still missed his mother and father terribly.

During the battle against Thanos, while the children were safe at Idunn's farm, some of the rare adults from Asgard had been talking about Valhalla. It was intended to reassure the youngsters about what was about to happen. The idea was to paint a brighter picture of what awaited them, a realm where they would have a chance to be reunited with loved ones. For Fenris, the words fell flat. There were shadows that clouded his thoughts, a peculiar intuition, an unexplainable voice that seemed to whisper the harsh truth.

Even after the worst nightmare, his mother and father would never have let him sleep in their bed. Boys were meant to be strong in every way. Vulnerability was a trait to be shunned and that from a very young age. Fenris liked sleeping in the same bed as Loki and Bruce after a bad dream. In their protective embrace, Fenris discovered a sense of security that was both comforting and unfamiliar.

Loki had told him that they were a family now, bound by something greater than blood, and promised that they would always be together. Fenris had already known a great loss. The Aesirs were calling Loki the god of lies but the little boy believed him anyway, even though it was difficult at times. The strength he found in the presence of Loki and Bruce was different from what he had been taught. Fenris clung to Loki and Bruce like a lifeline.

With cautious movements, the young boy slipped out of the big bed, trying not to rouse the two adults from their peaceful slumber. One of the walls in their spacious and comfortable room was a wide window. Fenris enjoyed sitting there with a pillow and a fluffy blanket. He would look at everything he could see, trying to take it all in. The panorama that greeted him was unlike anything he had known. Asgard, his former realm, was as different as could be from the city of New York spread in front of him.

Fenris had been captivated by the towering emerald trees that surrounded Idunn's house. They looked different from the one he was used to. Within their branches, different animals he had never encountered were going about their days. He didn't know what the small animals were called, but he wanted to see more of what this world had to offer. Fenris had always been fond of animals. Maybe Loki and Bruce would allow him to see more.

At night, he couldn't see the stars in the sky. The city of glass and steel was always illuminated by hundreds of multicoloured lights. The city of New York appeared to lack abundant natural green spaces, leaving him somewhat disappointed.

"Are you missing your home?" Bruce asked him, still a little bit sleepy.

"I was thinking of the small creatures with their fluffy tails that I saw in the trees during our time at Idunn's place. They were funny."

"Ah, you're talking about the squirrels. The tower is too high for them to come around. If you like, we can go visit some animals. New York City has a large zoo." Bruce suggested.

"What's a zoo?" Fenris inquired, his face lit up.

"It's a special place with a lot of animals, big and small, from all around the world. People can go there and spend the day to see them and learn about them." Bruce explained the concept as best as he could.

"Can we go today?" Fenris answered with excitement.

"If Loki agrees, I don't see why not." Bruce began to respond.

"And if you are really interested and want to know even more, we could even skywalk to see them in their natural habitat," Loki said from the bed.

"Yes, yes!" Fenris exclaimed, his joy visible on his face.