Chapter 03

Agatha had taken, from the home she had thought hers once upon a time, she could carry and would be of valour or of use to her. She needed to leave that place, the county, the continent all together. Nothing was keeping her here. Agatha would be tracked down by the people of Salem. A reward would be put on her head. She would not linger around just to get caught. They would burn her at the stake whatever her explanation of the events would be. Once again, she had just been defending herself still they would think she was guilty of everything. The fare on the boat would certainly be expensive, the journey difficult. If they accepted her on the ship at all. Fortunately, she knew a spell or two that might help.

She had been walking toward Gloucester, the nearest port. Once there, she would be able to find a ship going back to the old land. The forest was dense and, in an effort of hiding, her chosen path was away from the main road. It would have been easier on the already made footpath but she didn't dare to walk it. The villagers would surely come after her with pitchforks and torches. Noises unknown to her were surrounding her. She couldn't really see where she was going anymore, just hoping it was the right direction. The moonlight wasn't strong enough to shine through the tick branches.

The events of the day had been really tiring emotionally. Walking all night long would take her to her destination faster and then again maybe not. Her dress and cape were getting stuck in branches and brambles with every step she made. Stopping for the night would be wiser. Her magic would once again protect her from any danger. She was sure of that.

Agatha sat down on the damp floor, her back against a tree. Sleep came oddly easily but that didn't mean it had been relaxing. Her dreams weren't exactly nightmares but the weirdness of it all left her restless. The golden city she dreamt about felt more like a memory than a fantasy her brain would have made up. She seemed to know every turn, every corner of it. The sky over there was completely different but it wasn't a surprise either. The stars over there didn't look like anything she had ever seen, the constellations unknown to her. The building' architecture was very different from anything she had ever seen before and yet oddly familiar. Agatha couldn't help thinking she had been there before. It felt right. Where was that golden city, she didn't know.

She was walking through massive heavy doors into the palace itself. The guards there seemed to know her, letting her through without a word, almost expecting her. Agatha was expected there, wanted. The feeling was new and weird at the same time. Everything from the floor to the ceiling seemed to be made of gold, inside and out. Her feet took her directly where she was meant to go without much thinking, through big arches and wooden doors. Her excitement was growing as she was moving further inside.

She entered a beautiful set of rooms. A woman was waiting for her, tall with dark hair and a smile that could lit the entire castle up. Agatha had her name on the tip of her tongue but it wouldn't come to her. Everything felt so familiar. The woman who was talking to her but she wouldn't hear her was positively radiant with heavy pregnancy. Her hands were rubbing her belly protectively and Agatha knew at that moment she had something to do with the baby and helping the mother through those months. In the dream, Agatha's hands had been going for the other woman's stomach, a purple glow around them. It reminded her of the gesture of the midwives checking on her patient.

Agatha didn't have time to do anything. The heavy wooden door sprung open and four guards entered the room in full armour and weapons. Agatha and the woman were dragged away without ceremony. Agatha was fighting it, trying to go protect her patient the best she could. Why were they doing that? Surely, the woman had been of quite high standing considering the apartments she had been living in. Perhaps even a princess. Her rank should have protected her from those kinds of things. At least a little. Who would attack a pregnant woman? Please! Someone? Help! Help!