Chapter 16

Dr Jane Foster had never seen anything like it. The charts were all over the place. Not even when Thor had landed in New Mexico for the first time did she have readings like that. The laws of physics were disrupted on a grand scale. As a scientist, it was wonderful. Her brain was all over the place wanting to see it all, analyse all the data and maybe found something wonderful at the end of the trail. She was fully absorbed into what she was doing, not paying attention to Darcy Lewis more than that. Perhaps if she had, she would not have wandered all alone on her side of the phenomenon. Curiosity killed the cat. Jane should have known better than to touch things she didn't know anything about.

The world around her went black. When she came back to her senses, Thor was there. He wasn't alone. People were having an argument next to her, about her apparently and quite frankly, she wished they would just stop right now. Whatever had happened had given her a splitting headache of the epic proportion. Their yelling wasn't helping at all.

"Can you all shut up now?" she asked.

Thor ran to her immediately, asking how she felt and a whole lot of questions. He meant well but it was really not what she needed right now. Had he always been talking that loud? Yeah, probably. Jane tried to sit down. The world was spinning around her.

"May I try to look at you? I have some powers in healing." asked a brunette, gently, with that kind of smile often seen on doctors and medical personnel.

A couple of years ago, Jane would have laughed at that. Magic and such. She was a scientist. She didn't, couldn't believe in all that. Now she knew better. It was more often than not in conflict with the science she believed in. Jane was trying to keep an open mind anyway, not that she had any other choice these days.

"Yes, my mind had trouble with all that magic at first but I can assure it works."

This was Iron Man talking. Freaking Tony Stark himself. He was in his armour, only his head free of the metal. This day was getting weirder and weirder honestly. And it was saying something when your on and off boyfriend was an actual god from Asgard. She nodded to the woman. Jane doubted she could feel worse.

A purple mist appeared around the hands of the lady. Nice colour. Thor stopped her in her tracks. The god didn't trust that woman one bit apparently. Jane wasn't sure exactly why. Thor's attitude felt so foreign. The thunder god was usually more happy going than that, the kind who loved everybody straight away. But not this time. Jane would need to have a conversation with him sooner rather than later, at the very least for her to understand what was really happening.

"Let her go Thor. Agatha might save your girlfriend's life."

Thor was visibly ready to attack as his brother materialised out of thin air and green mist. This wasn't the moment to fight though. Thor might be a god, it was clear he would be outnumbered at the very least, if not outpowered. Something bigger was happening there. Jane didn't particularly like Loki, not after what he had done in New Mexico but she knew when to fight her battles. Since the attack on New York, the little brother had done a lot of good things with his new team. Iron Man seemed to have put his trust in the trickster god and the purple magic lady. That definitely counted for something.

Thor let go of Agatha's wrist and the woman turned her attention to her new patient as if nothing had happened. He wasn't being all that confident considering the mother hen attitude but he wasn't saying anything anymore. Agatha was moving her hands weirdly around her. The headache became easier if not gone entirely. Jane could see on her 'doctor' face that something was terribly wrong. Murphy's law. If anything could go wrong, it would.