Chapter 55

Hela was the centre of attention in the room, with everyone looking at her as if she held the answers to every problem in the galaxy. She was really at a loss for words. The description by Loki did not register with her, and she had no idea who he was. Despite everything she had been through, her memory remained sharp. She would remember a man like that.

Wasn't he supposed to be in love with her? Surely, if that were the case, they would have at least spoken and possibly even gotten to know one another a little. Hela was a firm believer in love at first sight. She knew how it worked better than most. Her feelings for Agatha had only grown stronger with each passing conversation. Thanos had never bothered to speak to her, not even once. In fact, she couldn't recall ever meeting him before.

"I don't know that man," Hela stated firmly. "I have no idea why he would do that for me. This would not make me happy. No one would be pleased with such a gift."

The others could just agree with that. There was nothing romantic about that gesture, not ever for the goddess of death. That kind of love was unsettling. Thanos actually had four reasons for coming to Earth, three stones and a goddess. They would need to devise a plan to protect the stones from the mad titan's grasp before even figuring out how to deal with those artefact themselves. They had no doubts that Hela could defend herself just fine. That didn't mean they wouldn't help her with all they had.

"We cannot destroy them." Stephen explained. "Kamar-Taj has a sworn duty to protect the eye of Agamotto, and we don't know how it would affect the aspect they represent."

"So we don't have another choice but to defeat the bastard."

Rhodey was prepared to inform the United Nations. They had little information to offer the officials. Given the current global situation and the Avengers being fugitives, they couldn't afford to act without proper information. Most people were still really angry. They had no intention of acting behind the authorities' backs, but they couldn't start a panic with the little they had. They needed to find out more.

Strange would conduct further research with Wong. They had volumes that made Agatha envious. As a gesture of good will, but also to expedite the process, she was invited to Kamar-Taj. She had never been able to say no to a good library. She brought Hela along. Agatha didn't want to be separated from the goddess at the moment.

It was a weird feeling to feel jealous of a man whom she had never even seen before. There was no logical reason for her to feel this way, especially since Hela had made it clear that she didn't even know who Thanos was. The women's relationship was still in its early stages, despite the centuries. In no way was the crazy titan a rival.

Agatha had no idea why she felt that way, and to be honest, she was a little disappointed in herself. She had been waiting for a while, searching high and low for a way to regain her memory before she could then figure out how to get back to Hela. She wasn't going to allow anyone to take the goddess away from her. Agatha had to believe that the goddess shared her sentiments.

"If we tell the council now, they will likely want the Avengers back." Rhodney warned them. "All hands on deck, even theirs."

"They wouldn't really be of much use." Bruce pointed out. "Foot soldiers at most."

"Captain America has had a strong reputation since World War II. The legend is still strong. Everybody knows the Howling Commandos, even a little. If anything, his presence will boost the morale of everyone who still believes in him."

They could all hear how unhappy Tony was about the idea of having to work with Avengers. Things weren't going as well as he would have liked. He had found a family. He had found the love of his life. He just wanted to enjoy his newfound happiness.