Chapter 11

Of course, Shield came back to taunt him. Fury, it seemed, didn't want to hear what Tony was trying to tell him. The director wasn't used to hearing the word no. Iron man wouldn't be a member of his boys band, whatever the old pirate had to say about it. Fury and Romanov tried to play on Tony's health. They told him how they could help. Only an agency like theirs had the means to help. Natasha had made her entrance like a star at a late night show as if Tony was none the wiser. They didn't know yet. Tony had to give them that, they were good at finding secrets. At least part of them.

"Miss Romanov, so nice of you to join us." Said Tony without even looking at her.

They had tried to corner him at his favourite donuts shop. Sugar would kill him one day no doubt. Among other habits of his, like coffee, but it could be worse right? The place had been emptied, a nice quiet place for a confidential talk. Fury was talking down to him like a parent would be to an unruly child and that was getting on Tony's nerves. Nathasha was standing next to her boss, a smug smile on her face. Those two were way too confident, especially considering that their plan hadn't really worked the way they had hoped. Perhaps they hadn't really realised that just yet. Things were about to get funny.

"Thing is.." Said Tony slowly. "You need me more than I need you. No. Let me rephrase that. I don't need you. So move on. Find another puppet."

"How is that palladium poisoning working out for you?" Asked Fury back, all condescending.

Tony hoped more than anything that Jarvis had hacked the shop's camera. Fury's face was priceless as was Romanov's when Tony slowly showed them some skin on his neck, unblemished and very healthy skin. The spies were clearly not expecting that. They thought they knew it all. Apparently they hadn't found out all of his secrets. Tony told them then that his little problem had been dealt without their meddling, proving once more that they didn't need to interfere in his life.

Iron Man had done pretty good so far. The military would never say it out loud of course but terrorist cells were taken out one after the other. Now that things had been ironed out between them, the military could even provide for him if needed be. The public loved Iron Man. Tony would not lurk in the shadows as if he was doing something wrong. Not after Stane.

"Anyway you will need all your time and money to pay for the lawyers."

"Lawyers?" Asked Natasha, not able to resist taking the bait.

"Corporate espionage, theft, false imprisonment as you are not letting me go right now. And that's just what I can think now on the top of my head. I'm pretty sure my legal team will find a lot more. You know them Natasha, they are anything but thorough."

The spied looked at him with disdain. Really, that overconfidence in their abilities, in their so-called knowledge in everything Tony Stark would be their downfall. If anything, Tony hated the agency because it was a creation of Howard Stark and Peggy Carter. Even if it meant weeks without his father around, weeks without bruises and scars, Shield had kept the shadow of Captain America hovering over the boy he was. That man who was larger than life, always right, always good. Tony could never compare positively to him and his own father had made him paid dearly for that.

"We saved you from Wanko." Stated Fury matter of factly.

"Who?"

"Ivan Wanko." Answered Natasha. "Son of Anton Vanko, creator of the arc reactor. He tried to enter the United States with interesting equipment to get revenge on you."

"Ok. So the Wanko who was sent back to Russia because he sold secrets had a son. Ok. I didn't ask you for anything and I'm pretty sure you kept the goodies. What's your point?"