Chapter 28

Novi Grad, the capital of Sokivia, was already in a state of disarray due to the civil war that had been raging for so long. Both factions had been fighting there too often to count. Still, it was the location from which the AI known as Ultron chose to for his final strike. Wanda Maximoff had changed her allegiance now apparently and had persuaded her brother to come with her. The red woman and the speedster appeared to be fighting with the Avengers now. Agatha's team wasn't convinced by the sudden change of heart. She didn't even need to look at the members of her team to know they were feeling the same way. They were just listening intently to the details of their enemy's terrible plan.

Wanda had peered inside the AI's mind. That was one of her abilities. The woman was used to doing it as naturally as breathing was to others. She was telling them how it was a part of her, that she couldn't swift it off even if she wanted to. The other magic users in the room stiffened at that revelation. Mind powers were the second worst magic one could practise just after necromancie. In certain circles, it actually came first. Not all witches or sorcerers could decide which way their magic would evolve. Chaos magic was extremely rare and very frowned upon. Only the strongest of minds could resist the temptation to use the power again and again, allowing it to take control of the mind. Most chaos magic users would gradually go insane as the power took control of their thoughts. This would probably be the fate of that woman like many others before her. The only problem would be determining how much damage she would cause before getting to that point.

"He wants to destroy the planet's first enemy once and for all." Wanda was explaining. "He was programmed to protect it and analysed threats. Ultron came to the conclusion that humanity was its greatest threat and he did what he was told to do and carried out a plan to eliminate the danger. I saw the city floating high in the sky and then fire and ashes everywhere."

"If Ultron manages to drop Novi Grad from an altitude high enough, it would have the same effect as the asteroid that eradicated the dinosaurs from the face of the Earth." explained Bruce, trying not to look in that woman's direction.

Some species had survived that catastrophe, those more adaptable than the old beasts. No one now wanted to confirm whether humanity would make it out alive or not if it had to happen again. Tony wanted to remind Wanda of her role in all that. Without her helping the AI, the situation would be a lot simpler now. The woman was staring at him. He had never experienced hatred like the one she was directing at him. There was, most probably, a backstory there, but, quite frankly, he didn't want to know about it. Throughout his life, many people had hated him for one thing or another. Occasionally, they had a valid reason to do so. Tony had made mistakes he wasn't particularly proud of. More than he cared to remember. Most of the time, however, he was hated for reasons that weren't really his fault. They were envious of his genius, his power, and his wealth. He had no intention to dumb himself down for them to feel better about themselves.

The city needed to be evacuated, and fortunately, Shield had helicarriers with enough space for everyone. But none of their effort would matter if Ultron wasn't stopped in his endeavour. Jarvis was scanning for the vibranium special signature. They didn't mean to offend Wanda, not that much anyway, they weren't just about to believe the words of someone who, two minutes ago, was still working with the enemy.

"She's only a kid." argued Rogers. "She didn't know what she was doing."

The arguments were disturbing, making Wanda something fragile that wasn't smart enough to make a decision for herself. It would need to be addressed later on. Tony tuned the captain's voice out. If he was about to say something stupid, as seems to be his habit, Tony would rather focus on something useful. Jarvis' sensors were narrowing the area at the very heart of the city. The AI was looking for images of the location and its whereabouts for the magic users to teleport everybody there.