Chapter 49

Wanda appeared to be in a sorry state, depressed. Her head hung low and her shoulders were dropped as she sat against the back wall of her prison cell. A true picture of the damsel in distress. Agatha, however, was not falling for the Scarlet Witch's act. The performance was having no effect on her. At all. It must have worked quite well on Rogers though. The man had to be the knight in shining armour, always ready to come to the rescue of the little guy, or gal. They were truly made for each other.

"Do you know what happened to you?" asked Agatha without any preamble.

Wanda's head shot back up. The hatred in her eyes shattered the fragile demeanour she had tried to project so far. She remained seated on the floor. For the witch, Agatha wasn't wasn't important enough to make an effort or even to just have some basic manners. Respect was earned not demanded. Wanda was doing nothing to help in her situation. Some people would simply never learn.

"You monster came to gloat?" Wanda said with a snark.

"You brought all that on yourself. If you don't realise that by now I really can't help you."

"You wouldn't have anyway." Wanda spat the words. "You are with Stark."

"Maybe. Maybe not. We will never know."

Agatha began to explain that both her and Loki had taken away all her abilities, all the magic of chaos she was definitely not mature enough to wield. Wanda would go on living her normal life, like any other human on the planet, but she would still be held accountable for what she had done. The rules were the same for everyone.

"It wasn't her fault! Hydra used her! She's just a kid!"

As was to be expected, Steve Rogers felt like he had to intervene in a conversation in which he was not welcomed. His outburst would not change the outcome. The truth had a tendency to reveal itself regardless. Tony might be able to assist a little. The files they discovered as a result of the data dump were quite interesting. Hydra had a big interest in people with powers of all kinds, and that, whether they wanted to participate or not. All those videos of Wanda testing out her powers on innocent people would certainly destroy that poor little innocent woman. Yet another irony.

Agatha ignored him, never taking her eyes away from Wanda's face. The two women engaged in a silent battle of willpower. Hatred for complete indifference. Whatever happened to Wanda now would not make a difference to Agatha one way or the other. Her family would not lose a moment of sleep over any member of that team. Natahsa and Steve probably still believed they still had a way out. Captain America was the epitome of everything that was good in this world. Anybody at his side was necessarily on the right side of the rapids. People would come to realise that they had done all that for them. They were that delusional.

Agatha didn't need to read the Captain's mind to figure out what he was thinking just that. His thinking was either misguided or more outdated than she had initially believed. She had been on that planet for a long time. Agatha had to adapt to a great many things. It had not always been easy, but she had tried again and again until she had perhaps not mastered it but, at least, understood what it was about. If Rogers wanted to influence where the world was going, he would need to better understand how its cogs were turning.

Barnes looked more broken than Tony had expected. He was curled in on himself, trying to occupy as little space as possible. He was pathetic. Tony wasn't entirely sure what he hoped to get from Barnes. Perhaps he thought he would see another version of Steve, with the same cockiness and tendency to always believe he was in the right. Their interaction up to this point had been limited, and really Tony shouldn't have made assumptions about Barnes.