Chapter 43

Despite everything that was going on with his best friend, Rhodey had to return to the conference. Now that they knew who to look for, Jarvis was actively trying to find him. The higher-ups still wanted assurances, and the accords were still very much on the table. General Ross still needed to be taken out. Whether they liked it or not, life was moving on. Even though their plans might be slightly delayed, it would still happen.

Loki went with him. The sorcerer could assist with transportation, defence, and negotiations. He had earned the moniker 'Silver Tongue' for a reason. Too bad that Asgard had never realised how good the god was for them. Jarvis would immediately forward any news, be it of the investigation or of Tony's state. Agatha wanted to keep working on everything she could against Ross. Every piece of evidence they were finding about him showed how despicable the man really was. He really had done the worst and not only against Bruce Banner or his own daughter.

They didn't need to ask Hope what she wanted to do because they knew she wasn't going to abandon Tony. A part of her wished she could take down all of Hydra and slap Rogers and Romanov across the face as hard as she could. Repeatedly. All would come to those who wait.

Tony was sound asleep, but it wasn't a peaceful slumber. He was tossing and turning constantly, probably seeing the video again and again. Hope didn't think his sleep would be restful for a long time. Nobody should have to witness the death of their parents, especially if they were brutally murdered like that.

Shield wasn't entirely gone apparently, or maybe the information was coming from a different agency, who knew. Fans of Captain America were everywhere. The propaganda portraying Rogers as a patriotic war hero was still strong in the United States. It didn't make a difference. Rogers had been given the location of his long-lost best friend. The superhero had arrived on the scene before the task force. He was now fighting beside Barnes against the authorities. Two supersoldiers against a handful of very squishy human operatives.

Loki immediately teleported them to the location. The god reflexes saved the life of an agent who fell three storeys in the middle of a staircase. Others had already been injured, and Rogers and Barnes were on the run. Lives were on the line. They needed help, more than what they had planned for. Loki quickly called on Agatha with a spell. She had more skill as a healer than he did. Some people were in need of serious help. War Machine and Loki had to stop the supersoldiers before they did even more damage.

Almost immediately, Agatha showed up with Hela by her side. She started working on the wounded right away. Hela wasn't a healer. She was the goddess of death. Since it fell under her purview, she had the authority to grant it, but she could also refuse entrance in her domain. Hela was not the type to intervene in the natural order. She was a formidable warrior and would once use those skills in the battle. Her potential for destruction was limitless. No matter what Odin claimed about her, Hela would never allow herself to go that far. It wasn't a power she ever used or even ever wanted. For once, it would be put to good use. If the gates of death were not opened for those men, Agatha would have had more time to heal them.

Barnes and Rogers were moving quickly through Bucharest's crowded streets. The ex-Sergeant appeared to be fleeing from his oldest friend and another individual with special abilities, dressed in black, was following them. Loki and Rhodey weren't moving as fast as they wanted. Somebody had to take care of the devastation left by the other three. None of those enhanced seemed to care about the innocent bystanders.

"Loki!" shouted Rhodey pointing at the tunnel bypass.

An explosion occurred in their wake. That particular road was full of cars. People were simply going about their daily lives. They were going to work. Parents were driving their children to school. They had no reason to be concerned, to think that something of that magnitude was going to happen. In a blink of an eye, everything changed. The tunnel was collapsing on them, and the majority of them would not be able to escape.